Seeing those darn timming marks on silver balancers

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Got a nice bracket racing balancer from Summit. Their house brand. Shop guy loved it. However I am trying to time the motor while cranking it with the plugs out but grounded and the push rods out.

Think I got it set but gee those marks are a bugger to see. Its like a silver chrome color.

Now I know why the high buck ATI are black and white! And yes I tried it in a dark garage and with a light on the marks. Using a nice msd timing light. Its my freaking middle age eyesight, ha ha.

A black mark was no help..thinking white paint for a line..any other tips.

Flourecent model paint in red or green. Saves the embarassement of buying nail polish, lol. Availible at wally world or hobby lobby.

I never liked timing lights anyway! Just get the idle smooth and drive it. Adjust, drive it some more, repeat as necessary. Unless you are a serious racer, that'll get you better results than "X degrees retard or advance". if you are a serious racer, I apoligize in advance for my doofus-ness.

Ok, sorry, plugs out. Glad I took care of that doofus-ness thin up front. I still don't like timing lights, have to get my face too close to the fan.

taped off everything except where the numbers and marks are. shot it yellow , let dry 24 hours, carefully water sanded off the paint leaving the marks an numbers yellow. cleared it all. looks like it came that way.

DSC01450.JPG

A black balancer isn't that much better! I ordered timing tape from Summit and it works great. I even got it in sublime green to match my car. lol

Ok, sorry, plugs out. Glad I took care of that doofus-ness thin up front. I still don't like timing lights, have to get my face too close to the fan.

Just trying to get timed close enough that it fire right up with a quick crank. True once its running I can time it by ear and use the light to see where I am at but I let the motor decide what it likes.

Will advance the timing until the more stops speeding up and then back in off a bit. Thinking it be about 34 degrees. I did notice my damper is mis mark by like 4 degrees. TDC is 4 degrees before..way to go Summit, lol. Its a old factory forged crank.

Many on speedtalk say they just paint the damper, ha ha. Its a maybe, lol

-
Back