SEEKING CAL 500 SLOTTED MAG CENTER CAP SOLUTION

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

So I have these Cal 500 vintage slots with a 4 inch bolt circle. As you can see by the pics, the center caps that I bought encroach the wheel stud holes so using them is a no go. I really don't like the look with the centers open to the hubs and am seeking a solution......Perhaps someone has an idea, or a set of center caps that may work?

The center hole of the slotted mag is 3 1/16 diameter (has not been modified) and the screw holes for the mount are 3 1/2 inches (longest dimension between 2 screw holes).

Thanks FABO

P.S. They are almost 50 years old and will be polished up :)

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

Last edited:
Mr Gasket Et Ansen spring slot mag wheel center ebay. You could probably use this style of center cap...there are 2 on ebay for $19.99 check the dimensions to see if they will fit your rim.

Last edited:
I have about 15 or more of those wheels but only a few centers and none of them are bolt on. Instead, they press into the centerholes and are held captive by plastic hooks on the tabs that press thru the centerholes.
If I remember right (haven't seen then in decades) they are in good physical shape but not so good aesthetically.
If yur interested in that kind of thing, I'll go out to the shop after supper and see if I can find them.

I have about 15 or more of those wheels but only a few centers and none of them are bolt on. Instead, they press into the centerholes and are held captive by plastic hooks on the tabs that press thru the centerholes.
If I remember right (haven't seen then in decades) they are in good physical shape but not so good aesthetically.
If yur interested in that kind of thing, I'll go out to the shop after supper and see if I can find them.
Thanks for the offer AJ, I appreciate it. These holes are 3 1/16 in diameter and have the 5 screw holes for mounting. When I had these on my avatar car back in the day, they had the center caps, with some of the ears missing. Unfortunately, they are MIA. Ironically, my caps had Cobras on them.

I'll check my old caps tomorrow Troy for diameter. I had a ***** of a time finding anyones that fit my wheels from CTC in '76, but I did finally find a set that would snap in on the Bee. Came from Supreme wheels, the ONLY snap in cap I could find with a smaller diameter.

Look at all those Pentastars! LOL

beerestoration2017 810.JPG

I'll check my old caps tomorrow Troy for diameter. I had a ***** of a time finding anyones that fit my wheels from CTC in '76, but I did finally find a set that would snap in on the Bee. Came from Supreme wheels, the ONLY snap in cap I could find with a smaller diameter.

Look at all those Pentastars! LOL

View attachment 1716202786
Thanks Wayne. Snap in caps won't work in this application as the washers actually overhang the center hole a bit. The center hole is huge, and has not been altered, believe it or not. A total PITA to make the Hub-centric rings for these damn things as well. That's what I get for holding on to the past I guess!

You said 3 1/16 correct? I'll check anyhow.. my wheels are large bolt pattern. Maybe you'll just need to trim your washers to make your cap look bigger !

sorry but i dont have any way of posting pictures on hear . the measurement is 3 1/2 from bolt hole to bolt hole .this cap looks identical to the one in the photo .if u want a pic sent to u i can send it to cell phone.
Thanks for the reply. The one that I posted will not fit as the cone part is too large in diameter. I would need something where the cone is smaller that 3 1/8 in diameter.

Has the center bore been opened up? Looks a little “off”. Check eBay seller “Lugnut King” from Utah. He’s got a lot of hard to find wheel goodies.

Has the center bore been opened up? Looks a little “off”. Check eBay seller “Lugnut King” from Utah. He’s got a lot of hard to find wheel goodies.
I know what you are saying. I found a post from about 12 years ago where the OP had the same rims, and they were big like this. I don't understand why since 4 inch BPs all had smaller hub diameters. I assume that they are centered by the shouldered lug nuts, but I made some Hubcetrics to get them balls on.

I modified new Indy mag caps for my US Indy slots. The original caps on my slots were just like this. Here are pics of a new cap. I can dig out the old cap and a pic on the mag if that would help.

IMG_1108.jpeg

IMG_1107.jpeg

Here are pics of the caps. I believe the old cap is original and was how these were done (modified by Indy mags back-in-the-day) for our 4" SBP mags. I modified the new ones with a Dremel and they fit well. One has to be careful on which deep socket to use. If you need your caps modified, let me know. I'd be happy to do them for you.
IMG_2005.JPG

IMG_2167.JPG

IMG_6825.JPG

Thank-You. That looks like it is going to work. Thanks for the comparison shot.....I believe the problem is solved :thumbsup:

Thanks for the offer, I'll take my time trimming them.

-
Back