seeking wisdom

-

pkrplyr6158

Reaction score
I own a 72 Dodge Demon . It has a 4 speed. Can you Tell from the outside if it has a 10 or 26 spline transmission? The car has a 360 in it .I've had it about 4 years now. Want to upgrade to 5-speed but they always want to know 10 or 26 spline. Any thoughts? Thanks

Your tranny should be an 23 spline tranny. If it was a big block it would be a 18 spline

The only Mopar gearboxes that were 18 spline were some of the 440's and the hemi cars. None of them to my knowledge were original to A body gearboxes

If you have an A-833 box with "something like" 10 splines that is less than 18, what you have is a "made to fit GM" OD box. Some of the OD boxes were made WITH GM input shafts and GM bolt pattern cases. So far's I've read, these are nearly useless to a Mopar owner, other than perhaps some of the internal parts.

Your 4 speed has a 23 spline input shaft. For a 5 speed conversion don't let the 10 or 26 confuse you. Just pick the one that has an available clutch disc with the same diameter as the one you have now (should be 10").

10 and 26 spline is Chevy talk. If it has either of those it has a POS for a transmission compared to a Mopar.

After further review there are clutch discs available in either spline count that will fit under your present pressure plate. 10 splines for Ferd or 26 splines for Blowtie. Pick your poison...

-
Back