Sell or rent out house

-
HA! If anyone write enough on FABO, unless they are a ph.d in English grammar, they will be sometimes scolded!!!!!! I have had my *** scolded a few times!!!!!
I still write Southern English!!!! ha

Blazing Saddles.. That could never be a movie in 2018!!!!! Cold you imagine!!!!

Call me what ya like, just don't call me LATE FOR DINNER.....Pilgrim!!! lol

Navy family here with an out of State rental near a base. Some pointers:

If you sell: Check out the USAA program. They will select three of their pre-screened real estate agents in the area that specialize in military and they will each contact you with their proposals. You choose which one to go with. After the sale you get back an additional % of the sale into your pocket just for using the program.

If you keep: Contact the housing office on base and see which management company they have the best relationship with. We have been renting our house in WA for 10 years now and the management company has been great. Every renter has been Senior NCO's or junior officers and our longest lapse in tenants was two weeks. Our close (and cheap) friend tried to rent out her rental properties in the same area and it was a disaster. The 10% is worth every penny.

Congrats on retirement! I have been out since 2000 but wife just checked into her last duty station before retirement yesterday.

Navy family here with an out of State rental near a base. Some pointers:

If you sell: Check out the USAA program. They will select three of their pre-screened real estate agents in the area that specialize in military and they will each contact you with their proposals. You choose which one to go with. After the sale you get back an additional % of the sale into your pocket just for using the program.

If you keep: Contact the housing office on base and see which management company they have the best relationship with. We have been renting our house in WA for 10 years now and the management company has been great. Every renter has been Senior NCO's or junior officers and our longest lapse in tenants was two weeks. Our close (and cheap) friend tried to rent out her rental properties in the same area and it was a disaster. The 10% is worth every penny.

Congrats on retirement! I have been out since 2000 but wife just checked into her last duty station before retirement yesterday.
Totally agree on the property management 10% portion. We originally tried doing it ourselves and it was a total train wreck. After much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth we sulked it up and hired some folks to manage placing renters etc. single smartest thing we did. I hate paying the fee but holy smokes what a head ache gone. Just recognize you can't just pay the fee and walk away. You still need to manage the property management group for your best interest. Sometimes they do what is easiest for them not what is best for you. All in all I would still vote to rent it out.

Sorry to see you leave the area @greymouser7

Long distance rental is probably a bad idea unless your profit margin is very, very high.

Renting my wife's house has worked out very well for us, but-

We are about 20 minutes away. Far enough not to be all up in their business, but close enough to get there in an emergency or to spot check.

The house is located 5 min from a major highway between 2 major cities.
It practically rents it's self.

..and more importantly, as with cars, you make your money on the buy. The house was refinanced a couple of years before we started renting it (without taking out cash, or lengthening the term) and the mortgage is less than half of what we can charge for rent.

Don't forget you can't claim homestead exemption on a rental, so property tax will go up.
Insurance on a rental is cheaper, but not enough to make up the difference.

A couple of things mentioned earlier really scared me-

1- who would ever rent out a house they owed money on...without a signed written contract?
After a lot of research, we ended up writing our own lease, and it's a perpetual work in progress.
Check your local statutes for any clauses that must be included or worded specifically if they are included and any clauses that can not be included.
An example above could have been cured with an early termination clause.

2- renting to family, friends or friends of family...that is an absolute recipe for disaster!

It's all about the numbers first, then the execution.

Good luck in TX.

How you gonna get all those cars 1/2 way across the country?

Sorry to see you leave the area @greymouser7

How you gonna get all those cars 1/2 way across the country?

I am going to dislike moving away from South East Georgia (SUPER low cost of living, {Community-everyone waves, helps, talks to, befriends, give-the-shirt-off-their-back attitude, etc.}, forest roads, beaches without much of anything regarding hurricanes 31547, GLORIOUS weather from October through March, cheap rusty cars,,) -

BUT enjoy living very close to so much family (I literally am the favorite nephew, cousin, etc. of a large family), going to enjoy no deployments, no stress from newclear (!) weapons, infinite restaurants where everyone already knows what tastes phenomenal ( I don't have to guess & all the old men fight over the bill after church!), huge flea markets, huge junk yards, a land of shade tree mechanics, kind hearted people, ,, etc.

I am either driving those cars one at a time, getting some tow hitches and 2 wheel dollies, bus tickets back or borrow my retired mother & or cousin once or twice. Finishing the cars is the challenge!

Congratulations and thank you for your service!

I did 21 and looking back wish I would have stayed until the made me retire. At the time I was tired of moving every three years, thought I was old (42, lol). Thought the military was a young man's game.

Then I came out "here" and found I could run rings around most civilians. Found there is a severe lack of common sense in the masses! Also missed having a mission to wake up for every day.

I was thinking about becoming a civilian government worker but thought I wanted to get away from it.

After I bought a franchise helping people buy franchises, I felt a sense of mission again. Then I closed it to move closer to my mom and took a job where I was on military bases again and loved it...then they closed all their offices after 3 years.

Finally, I'm in a position where I get to make a difference in the lives of entry level workers and that sense of mission is back.

It's just a lot different becoming a civilian again.

Have you thought about what yoully be doing for work after you retire??

-
Back