SEM interior dye?

-

khuebner250

Reaction score
I am going to change the color of my interior from dark green to black on my 68 notchback. I know there are some threads on this, but I can't find them.
The search function won't accept 'SEM' or 'DYE' as valid criteria, so thats why I am asking. I bought a qt of 'SEM Vinyl/Plastic Prep' not in a aerosol, but a plastic container. I also bought some trim black for the A-pillers, kick panels, etc. They had a couple of differant spray black vinyl dyes. Does anyone have a part number or recommendation? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks,
Keith

Sorry don't have any part number for you, however I have used the vinyl "spray dye" and fabric spray both. The only problem I had was using the fabric spray was on "cloth seats"..If seats are made of cloth, the fabric spreads when sitting showing old color through. Using black on black cloth is fine however. It's works great for headliners. I changed mine from green to black. Re-colored my dash, sun visiors, kick panels and door panels. (Just make "sure" you use rubbing alchohal first to take off all the years of spray waxes etc. (if you don't...it will look bad)

Here's a few pic's of my inside.....Dash and door panels were green, and the seats were a yellow/cream color, now bright white. (I do touchup's once a year to keep it bright) Hopefully it helps.

pic5.JPG

pic2.jpg

Make sure you clean your parts VERY good. I usually wash them twice, then use the SEM vinyl prep. 2 - 3 light coats really does work the best. All I use is the SEM aerosols.

69signetv8..georgous interior!!!!!

SEM works well. Thorough cleaning is a must. After prep work, make sure to use multiple light coats (I used Landau Black from a quart can in my air brush). Something you might consider if you need to color cloth fabric... work the wet dye into the fabric with a soft bristle brush, to avoid what 69signetV8 described. Practice on something else to test the technique.

Good luck,
Jerry

-
Back