Semi metallic 9 inch brake shoes

-

Darthomas

Ashamed to be seen in foreign cars
Reaction score
I live in flat lands, and see no need to change from my 9 inch brakes.
But I really miss the security of semi metallic shoes.
Can't seem to find any supplier for 9" drum semi metallic shoes.

Anybody know if there's a place who can supply these for Darts and Valiants?

I don't mind the drum wear, if used normally, they seem to help keep the drums true on their own.

I used to get my Opel 9" rear drum shoes relined with heavy duty material from this shop in Ft Wayne. They would sell me so-called 'police car' lining material. It was not semi-metallic, but I used this in rallying and it held up well and seemed to have a bit higher Coefficient of Friction than standard brake shoe lining material.

Try this link:
Home

Last edited:
I live in flat lands, and see no need to change from my 9 inch brakes.

The one doesn't follow from the other. Most of us don't need much from our brakes (or seatbelts) until we very suddenly, very urgently do.

The 9" brakes were passably adequate in their original application on the lightweight '60 Valiant…in sparse, calm '60 traffic. They got a whole hell of a lot less adequate as the A-bodies got bigger and heavier and traffic got denser and faster and ruder. Driving a car like yours with brakes like those in today's traffic is not thoughtful or wise; put in actual, real better brakes rather than trying to put a band-aid (metallic linings) on a broken rib (inadequate brakes).

If not, sooner or later you will have that pants-crapping moment where your life flashes before your eyes and you start trying to make deals with god that if you can please survive this crash that's about to happen, you promise you'll put adequate brakes in the car. Best to save the wear and tear on your washing machine and just go ahead and put in good brakes before you need them.

Too poor at the moment, so I drive defensively anyway.
I hope next year my situation will improve financially, after I move away from a super expensive zip code, and recover somewhat from the divorce.

The VERY BEST thing to do is use N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ ---- the BEST braking surface known on planet Earth ---- outlawed thanks to the EPA.....
The good news is that N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ is not illegal to transact on --- just illegal to freshly produce --- so that N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ is still the way to go.
And the VERY GOOD news -- is that I have N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ ------- It is not expensive -------- and you will probably only need 1 set of fronts & 1 set of rears ----
for life....................

You have the formed material or shoes ready to go?
Riveted or bonded?
I really really like the hard pedal and light squealing of semi metallic.
Does your material have brass interwoven internally, or perhaps randomly mixed in?

I don't know what you mean by "formed material" --- I suppose you are talking about "brake lining" from what was available for vehicles 20 - 60 years earlier than yours...
By the 1960s -- brake lining was outdated --- and all the brake shoes were exactly that -- brake shoes. "all set and ready to go" as you ask....
All my shoes -- in the Mopar world, in the GM world, the Ford world, and others --- are New Old Stock -- so they are all ++ asbestos ++
There was no "special process" --no this or that -- they were standardly lined by 1000 different companies back then.
I have mountains of Riveted and mountains of Bonded ---- but way more than 90 % of 9" shoes ------- were BONDED......
Your Fronts, of course, are 9" x 2 1/2" .......... and your Rears, of course, are 9" x 2".........
I hope this answered all your questions ---- it really is a simple thing ---- don't over-analyze it ---- it's not rocket science!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to see the material in the Washawski-Whitney catalogs for model T Fords with woven brass molded in, and wished I could do my own countersunk riveted linings.
Then I started using semi metallic on my 10 x 2 1/2 drums on the 66 Belvedere and never looked back.
I knew enough to not inhale the brake dust on my own cars or thoseof others I did brake jobs on. As a crazy teenager, I blew riveted asbestos linings apart a few times, so I like bonded much better.
When semi metallics are warmed up, it's almost like halfway powered brakes, and I really like the idea of keeping hydraulic pressures low.
It's not rocket science, but has many variables.
What is the grade stamped on the side of the bonded lining shoes you have?

-
Back