Separating stuck inner tie rod ends

-

remytherat

Reaction score
I can’t get the inner tie rod ends out with a pickle fork so I’m wondering if its ok to hit the center link with a hammer to jolt the tie rod ends loose, or whether I need a balljoint puller.

tie rod puller

you're probably not going to do anything to the centerlink by hitting it, but not the greatest for it either.

hit the side of the female taper of the center link where the tie rod taper goes a couple of good solid blows will pop it right out. You may need to put a second hammer on the opposite side to make a solid blow on it.

hit the side of the female taper of the center link where the tie rod taper goes a couple of good solid blows will pop it right out. You may need to put a second hammer on the opposite side to make a solid blow on it.
Yes, ^

I use a shorty sledge hammer as the "Dolly" on one side of the tapered casting, then give the other side a few good whacks with a 3 lb. hammer.

The theory of it is, it squeezes the tapered casting to "Squeeze" the tie rod end out.

Breaks free any minimal rust/corrosion to help pop it out.

Some PB Blaster penetrating oil as a pre-soak helps a lot too, like over night.

Good Luck

☆☆☆☆☆

Load it with the pickle fork first, then a couple of raps it should pop right out. Make sure that you coordinate the hammer blows so that you are not stressing any other steering component. By loading it with the fork, a lighter hit may work.

Of course, Harbour freight probably has the right tool for the job cheap. That would be my first choice.

1703212142742.jpeg

274D5553-1F9A-49DE-B13E-2A60C93DBCEA.png

I bought this, works like a champ. Got to be careful, they shoot out like a bullet.

Thanks for all the help. I just went and got the tool. Used a pickle fork to make space for it then put the tool on and they popped right out.

Thanks for all the help. I just went and got the tool. Used a pickle fork to make space for it then put the tool on and they popped right out.
That was smart. Normally, I do my best to avoid hitting things with a hammer. Although sometimes that's all there is, but I leave it as a last resort. There's always a tool "for something".

Thanks for letting us know how it came out. Sometimes we are left wondering.

That was smart. Normally, I do my best to avoid hitting things with a hammer. Although sometimes that's all there is, but I leave it as a last resort. There's always a tool "for something".
and sometimes that tool for one thing can be a tool for something else with a little creative thinking.

i'm all for choosing violence, but if there's a reasonably priced tool that will get the job done and not wreck anything else them i am all for that.

Thanks for following up and letting us know how it went.

Load it with the pickle fork first, then a couple of raps it should pop right out. Make sure that you coordinate the hammer blows so that you are not stressing any other steering component. By loading it with the fork, a lighter hit may work.

Of course, Harbour freight probably has the right tool for the job cheap. That would be my first choice.

View attachment 1716181477
Buy NOTHING from harbor freight

and sometimes that tool for one thing can be a tool for something else with a little creative thinking.

i'm all for choosing violence, but if there's a reasonably priced tool that will get the job done and not wreck anything else them i am all for that.
Yeah, sometimes beatin the snot outta somethin is downright therapeutic.

Hammers are for driving nails and beating the **** out of a pos when you are pissed off. With the exception of a body hammer. I don’t use one for any thing other than the 2 uses I stated.

There are places for the crap they sell. Separating 4 tierods in a lifetime would qualify. :)

I'm a tool freak, but even I have a couple of the el cheapos for 1 off jobs, and tool modifications.
There’s not many feelings better than walking in to HF buying a cheap set of wrenches, then getting home or the shop and taking a death wheel to that brand new wrench to make it “custom”

Buy NOTHING from harbor freight
Sorry, my cordless drill and impact wrench beat Milwaukee and dewalt all over the place. (Not the drillmaster garbage) They are all made in China anyway.

My folding harbor freight trailer is the cats ***.

I do so much front end work at work that my 3 lb hand sledge has become the first thing I grab after the fasteners are off. these days it's mostly 3/4 and 1 ton Ford vans at work.....

For others that may come across this problem an old shop teacher taught us to use the ball end of a ball peen hammer. Worked like a charm most of the time

-
Back