serious head issues, need input please

-
Did you put them on the motor straight out of the box? I've heard that INDY quality is not to be trusted out of the box and to have a good experienced machine shop inspect them prior to installing. This usually ends up in a lot of correction being made.

My cousin had a pair of iron INDY 440-1's or something like that (not sure of p#) on his 452 in his Duster. Kept dropping guides and seizing valves in em. Had to have em worked on a good bit. But that was 10-12yrs ago.
He found out the hard way.

i bought them from mopar madness who fitted 2.02 valves and ported them. i was told they were ready to run right out of the box both times. i know most people are saying piston to valve clearance but then why wasn't it the same valve both times? and why didn't both valves have marks even if only one actually stuck? it was only the valve that stuck that made contact both times. i WILL check my clearances once i get the heads back but i just doubt that's the issue. someone straighten me out if that's the wrong thought process please

It is distinctly possible that that cylinder, or even that one valve, is closer than others. If the guides have that .002+ clearance there could be some amount of rock at full lift which might let things bind and be slow to close - or the block is shorter on that corner - or the crank throw or rod is longer - or the seat depth is shallower - or the cam has a lobe or two that is advanced - or a rocker ratio is off... Something's amiss. That's for sure. That's why we look.

-
Back