SERPENTINE CONVERSION

-

66Kooda

Reaction score
Looking to serpentine conversion on my 318, but it seems the kits that are available say they are strictly for the "newer" water pump with lower radiator hose on the passenger side. Mine is the older version which is on the drivers side. Anyone know if there is a kit that will work with my pump, I don't want to swap pumps if I don't have too. TIA guys.

The early iron water pump is about 5" deep, the later aluminum pump is about 5 3/4" deep (don't quote me on this, I'm working from memory and it ain't what it used to be...). So IN THEORY, you should be able to run a setup for the later WP simply by using a 3/4" fan spacer between the iron pump and the pulley to get things lined up (this may affect fan to radiator clearance). The alternator & brackets may also need to be spaced out by an equal amount. You're on your own if you need to get any accessory drives lined up- power steering pump, AC, etc.

Yeah, that gets things too tight to my radiator. I'm only running an alternator, no other other accessories. Those kits are high enough let alone having to buy a new pump as well.

Tried to do the same thing with a factory 66’ radiator and 273. Way to tight. Talk about having to pull the radiator off just to change a belt. Lol!

If you’re only running an alternator, why the need for a serpentine belt setup?

If you’re only running an alternator, why the need for a serpentine belt setup?
No matter what I adjust, I cant get the squeal out of it when I put my foot down. Just don't want to get into situations where I either have to refrain from getting on it, or keep spare belts in the trunk. I just found the replacement high flow pumps are only $89, seems reasonable I guess.

No matter what I adjust, I cant get the squeal out of it when I put my foot down. Just don't want to get into situations where I either have to refrain from getting on it, or keep spare belts in the trunk. I just found the replacement high flow pumps are only $89, seems reasonable I guess.
I can fully appreciate that. It sucks not being able to use your car the way you want for fear of something not going right. I battled pulley/belt squeal on my el Camino for a while trying all kinds of alignment adjustments and reinforcing weak mounts, new belts ect ect. Ended up being the water pump pulley was worn badly and no matter how tight or perfect the belt alignment was the belt was riding too low on the pulley and it would squeal and kick the belt off. New pulley solved it.

-
Back