service reservoir O ring

-

like_A_pike

that's not factory
Reaction score
I've searched the old threads and it seems like some of the rebuild crowd were pulling the pulley to get at this O ring. (which looks like the most complicated part of this operation w/o the two special tools) Are we sure that you have to take that pulley off to get at the big O at the reservior?

Hey anybody know where you can get the high pressure hose?? Here in logging country I bet I could get it fabricated pretty easy though.

I have the 1.06 I think people are also calling this the Federal??? and the Chrysler??? I'm a little confused on this point and that's making the on line O ring purchase a little hard. It has the round filler tube and this looks like an original 1968 pump from off the 318 that was in this cuda.

Any chance that the red stuff that was used in the past was tranny fluid and the fact that i've been replacing it with "power steering fluid" is a problem??

thanks dw I mean l_A_p

If you go to www.google.com and look in the upper left of the page and click "Images" then put in Mopar power steering pump, you will find a lot of pictures of the different kinds of pumps and related data.

A LOT of people use ATF for power steering, but mopar recommends PS fluid.

The Federal and TRW pumps have a front pressure hose outlet. You don't have to pull the pulley to reseal the reservoir. Assuming the reservoir is not damaged, I usually just clean the old "O" ring and housing real good and then smear a light coat of RTV on both sealing surfaces and reassemble it. Let it cure good before you add P/S fluid. Don't use ATF. If the shaft seal is leaking or you want to rebuild the pump, just get a kit. I think NAPA has them and they weren't very much the last time I got one.

sure enough! early and late Saginaw, who knew? Yes mines the "chrysler/Federal" The service manual calls them .94, .96, and the 1.06 period! that doesn't work very well as a search query.

Seems if I wipe it off it leaks right at the lip and not from the spindle. I'll pick up an O ring and give it a go.

thanx

-
Back