Set up for 360/380 magnum crate engine

-

Plum Demon

plum demon
Reaction score
Hi, I,m a new member and have a question. I have a 71 Demon 340, Trans is 727 with shift kit, 2500 stall, rear is 3.23, this car is mainly use for street and weekend show. This summer I broken-down my motor then I’m buy a new 360/380 magnum R/T crate engine, I want to know if I have to do any modification to my set-up or it’s OK? I have a holley 650 mecanic double pomper and an other trans 727 with manual body valve. Can I use this caburator for my new 360 engine and witch of these( trans 727) is the best for the 360/380hp? I will install a set of 1 5/8 header TTI’s on my 2.25“ exaust, it is good?
Thanks for the answer.

If you are looking for street fun, the 650 double pumper will be fine, however I would like to see a 750 vacuum secondary on this combination for the best power possible. The 727 will work with the manual valve body, but why? Are you going to race or street the car? Your shifter (stock) will be a bit of a problem, nothing you can't live with but, 1-3 shifts may occur. The 3.23 gear is a bit weak, but the 380hp will work with this fine. As far as the exhaust goes, 2.5 to 3" will work better and sound good as well. Again remember you can run what ever "you" feel you want, but it may not be very fast, just fun!

Hey Plum, welcome aboard. :) The number of Canucks on the board is growing, and it's great to see so many of the Northern folks into the A Bodies.
As Rob mentioned, the manual valve body will probably be more of a pain than it's worth, especially if you're using the stock style shifter. Your 2500 stall converter, 3.23 gears, and the 650 carb should work well as a package on that motor.

That combo is screaming for bigger headers and bigger exhaust pipes, maybe an x pipe set up?

don

Thanks guys for this information, also, I have a power break and some poeple say that this 360/380 have a very rough idle and a very low vaccum , it,s true? :toothy7:

-
Back