Setting correct Timing for truck 360

-

C300

Reaction score
I Got a 1984 R350 Dually work truck. The timing for it stock says 4 BTDC. R150-250 is 11 BTDC. Took the 84 engine out, put in 77 truck engine with 84 Dist., cam-lifters-p-rods n rockers. (someone stuck 4 BIG diameter pushrods in...dumbass thought motor was toast ) Edelbrock 318/360 intake, 1406 carb. Runs good. What should be the initial and total timing be ? I do have a Dial timing light. Timing marks are correct. Aftermarket Chain n gears looked good, but i had a chain tensioner on the shelf so i tossed it in. will be mostly used to haul big boat, car trailer, wood n steel. up hill both ways. Thanks, C300

not sure what timing should be but remember to advance it one hour tonight

Gonna be something you will have to play with. The problem with stock stuff is when you get enough initial, you will have too much total. You need a way to limit mechanical advance, like weldin up the advance slots. With a truck pullin something you might start with 12-14 initial and see where total ends up. It's not uncommon for total plus vacuum to be in the 60 degree range on a stock low compression motor......BUT whether or not the engine will take it pullin heavy stuff will have to be seen.

Gonna be something you will have to play with. The problem with stock stuff is when you get enough initial, you will have too much total. You need a way to limit mechanical advance, like weldin up the advance slots. With a truck pullin something you might start with 12-14 initial and see where total ends up. It's not uncommon for total plus vacuum to be in the 60 degree range on a stock low compression motor......BUT whether or not the engine will take it pullin heavy stuff will have to be seen.

The trucks got 4.11's i think. thinking that's why the 4 before timing. lower so the total wont be too high for hauling heavy loads. going to check the distributor and see if it's set up with different springs n stops. Ran into that on some industrial and big truck 392's n 413's. Thanks, C300

Them gears will actually help it have more timing. Since there's more leverage, it's easier for the truck to move.

You will probably want to set up the distributor a little better than it is - there are some posts on that - do a search. My '87 360 likes 15° initial, and 38° total. I had to tune the Edelbrock carb a bit too.

-
Back