Setting initial Valve Lash on Solid lifter 273

Small Block Mopar Engine

1. seabee

seabee FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:36 PM
    Hi All,

I am reassembling my first engine and am just about to put it back in the car. Since I have a new cam and lifters I wanted to know if there is a good way to set initial lash before cranking it for the first time. The Cam card reads .014 (pic below).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OldmanRick

OldmanRick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:36 PM
    I always like to be a hair loose. You can get pretty hot during break in so i like to leave a little room for expansion. Wait for others to chime in and you'll get a consensus.
    By the way if your using the recommended spring pressure on the card, your gonna be able to rev the wee out of it when it's ready. Looks like a lotta fun:D

3. 67Dart273

67Dart273 FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    12:36 PM
    From Crane:

[ame]http://www.cranecams.com/pdf-tech-tips/mech-lift.pdf[/ame]

"Iron heads, iron block, add .002"

I use the EOIC method, or the popular chart:

[​IMG]

EOIC means

When the EXHAUST just starts to OPEN, adjust the intake for that cylinder
    When the INTAKE opens and is nearly CLOSED, adjust the exhaust for that cylinder

The chart helps keep engine rotation to a minimum, important for a new cam. You don't want to be running the engine round endlessly on the starter or at idle. Pay attention to break in recommendations, use a zinc additive, and make SURE you have the engine READY to fire.

This includes leaks, oil prime, proper coolant filling (and burping) fuel prime, and static timing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.