Setting installed height

-
I can’t eyeball the valve job other than to say it has one. If the stems are equal, and the valves are identical, why are the installed heights different? They shouldn’t be.

@MOPAROFFICIAL thanks for your suggestions.

I can’t eyeball the valve job other than to say it has one. If the stems are equal, and the valves are identical, why are the installed heights different? They shouldn’t be.
Because the spring pockets are machined and they’re (speedmaster or whomever machines these heads) machining is not as precise as it could be. IDK

Exactly. You can’t eyeball them for problems. Give them to a performance oriented shop to check and correct the valve job. I’ll wager you spring issue gets fixed...

For one, that seat is way too wide. That looks to be over .060 maybe a bit more than that. The bowl is too big for that valve (that’t the new “trick” but I won’t do it) and the only way to fix that is a bigger valve or a different valve job, and that’s a maybe that a valve job can fix it.

For one, that seat is way too wide. That looks to be over .060 maybe a bit more than that. The bowl is too big for that valve (that’t the new “trick” but I won’t do it) and the only way to fix that is a bigger valve or a different valve job, and that’s a maybe that a valve job can fix it.
I measured it and forgot but I want to say it's like .090 wide
However it's still not set deep enough to get a really good .030 + .015 but you can get a good .030 alone.

Most people could learn to use a seat grinder.

Funny I never would have thought a 2.250 valve would be too small. Where are you measuring the seat to tell if it’s too wide?

I’ll measure some seat widths tomorrow and come back with what I find.

You don't really have a 2.25" valve, do you?

Yes 2.250 intakes, 1.88 exhaust. These are PCE big block Chevy CNC ported 360cc heads sold by speedmaster. They are for an engine I put together for my boat. 496ci and a single blow through turbo. I am copying a build Richard Holdener did and he previously made around 900hp with less displacement and this head. I will be using less compression and pump gas. Should still be fun. Sorry, in my op I mentioned they were brand X speedmasters I didn’t mean to mislead anyone.

I get the feeling a few people did. I posted it in the SBM thread for the wealth of knowledge and probably shouldn’t have.

I get the feeling a few people did. I posted it in the SBM thread for the wealth of knowledge and probably shouldn’t have.

LOL...ok it makes sense now. If the mods didn’t move your thread you’re ok.

Yup...that bowl is too big for how I do ports. You *MIGHT* get lucky and put a 50 degree seat on it and get the valve job back in shape and more correctly sized for the bowl. That’s all I use anymore is the 50. Unless there are no other options.

You can also get some 52 and 55 degree cutters. I’ve used the 55 a ton but I’ve never tested with a 52. I know what 50 and 55 cutters work for what I do for the most part.

I still don’t know why everyone wants to blow the bowls out like that unless it’s to get more port volume. IMO that’s not the place to find port volume.

I measured some seat widths.
The intake seat is .062ish and the exhaust seat is .044ish.
1DA4A5C4-43CE-479D-AD68-DD043ED47A8C.jpeg

204E168B-3EC2-457E-AE5D-D22D1620DB2B.jpeg

Just to finish up this thread, these heads went to my machinist for a check up and a valve job after the comments and recommendations here. From speedmaster they had .060 worth of shims and no spring seats so we ditched the shims and ordered .060 seats, he cut a new 3 angle valve job, and installed Manley Extreme Duty exhaust valves (turbocharged marine app). He said overall they looked ok but the attention to detail could have been better in thier assembly. I bought these on the Black Friday speedmaster sale so all in I’m at $1500 for the top end and $953.82 to have the heads gone through and some parts replaced. Thanks for all who chimed In on this thread.

-
Back