severe stalling problems

-

67cudaResto89

Reaction score
I'm having terrible stalling problems. This what's happening. ill start the car rev it forr a minute or so so it stays idling. Ill put it in drive then head home. Everythings fine til the car starts to warm up. Ill come to a light or stop sign and as soon as I take my foot off the gas and come to a stop the cars idle fluctuates then dies. Every single time. I've checked timing points did a tune up. Everything. I can not figure it out. To me it kind of seems like a vac leak considering all the hoses are screwed up and I can't figure out where they go. I need the car running properly its my everyday driver . If anyone could help id be very appreciative!

Sounds like a stuck float or needle and seat to me. Next time it does it check your float level right after it does it. If it's over filled then change the float, needle and seat. My 2 cents

is this a stock motor?? what carb is on it?? what rpms does it idel at wen it idles.were is the timeing set? mybe pull the timing up a little.tell you here it smoth out.....Artie

Its completely stock except for a mild cam headers and 3 in exhaust. It a reg 318 with a 2bbl not quite sure what rpm it idles at but it drops down real low when I come to a stop, don't have a tach. When I advanced the timing it ran worse and destroyed my fuel consumption it ran rich as hell.

Sounds like a stuck float or needle and seat to me. Next time it does it check your float level right after it does it. If it's over filled then change the float, needle and seat. My 2 cents

x2...acting like a float related problem. Have you given the carb a good cleaning? If not that would probably be a good place to start.

If timing is correct, I would check carb. I had a similiar problem which turned out to be small particles from original gas tank (which I had sealed). Had to replace gas tank

I have cleaned the carb as thoroughly as possible without taking it off. I was goin to replace the gas tank at some point because I know the car sat for a few years and the gas smelled terrible soill probably go ahead replace the tank andrebuild the carb

HA! I found at least one issue tonight. Just got my mancini elec distributor kit in and when i removed the wires i found the number 5 and 7 plug wires startin to burn through and crack. not my other problem is these damn header are so close to the wires i have serious amounts of heat hitting them. I was thinkin about fabricating up a heat shield of some sorts just for some type thermal protection. dont want this to keep happening... i'll try to post pics tomorrow

-
Back