SFI Transmission shield rules

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Who can simplify the rules for shields and/or blankets in regards to flexplates flywheels and transmissions? Will a blanket get you through tech? I have a B&M SFI flex plate, ATI converter in front of a manual valve body 727. I was told that the blanket will not pass tech for flywheel protection. The flywheel being refered to as the starter ring gear welded to the converter.

Some of the rules depend on your et. I've been racing since 1976 and rules change alot . I don't have my rule book in front of me, but a transblanket is good to a certain et and then you also need a flexplate shield. Flywheel is for a 4-speed car.

Some of the rules depend on your et. I've been racing since 1976 and rules change alot . I don't have my rule book in front of me, but a transblanket is good to a certain et and then you also need a flexplate shield. Flywheel is for a 4-speed car.
sorry, flywheel was the wrong word to use. Im refering to the "ring gear" welded to the converter. rules are interpreted a hundred different ways, and i want to double check before i decide what method to use. A&A sells a long and a short blanket, you would assume that the long would cover the the flexplate/ ring gear. but they were the ones that told me i would still need to use a ring gear flex plate shield. So why would you spend the extra money for the long blanket?

sorry, flywheel was the wrong word to use. Im refering to the "ring gear" welded to the converter. rules are interpreted a hundred different ways, and i want to double check before i decide what method to use. A&A sells a long and a short blanket, you would assume that the long would cover the the flexplate/ ring gear. but they were the ones that told me i would still need to use a ring gear flex plate shield. So why would you spend the extra money for the long blanket?

The different size blankets depends on what transmission you are running. I use a CSR shield that is rated as both a trans shield and a flexplate shield. It maybe cost more ,but your trans will run alot cooler. A&A builds my trans and they are great to deal with. Tell them Tom Roschen recommended them. Good luck with your project. Tom

The different size blankets depends on what transmission you are running. I use a CSR shield that is rated as both a trans shield and a flexplate shield. It maybe cost more ,but your trans will run alot cooler. A&A builds my trans and they are great to deal with. Tell them Tom Roschen recommended them. Good luck with your project. Tom
I spoke with A&A today about there blankets. they are the ones that told me if i ran a blanket i would still need a flexplate shield. Thats why im confused, why buy an SFI flexplate, $800+ dollar converter, SFI blanket and still need a metal shield. I have the CSR shield, but was not thrillled about cutting off all the tabs and kickdown linkage tabs to get the shield to fit. What car do you have your shield in? does it fit without hammering the floor out? I understand running the shield would solve all the rule confusion.

Shield/blanket is not required till 10.99 and quicker..per the NHRA rule book i just read:read2::read2:...

Trans shield or blanket 10.99 or quicker, SFI flex plate and flex plate shield at 9.99 and quicker. It's as simple as that.

Trans shield or blanket 10.99 or quicker, SFI flex plate and flex plate shield at 9.99 and quicker. It's as simple as that.
Is the flexplate shield also SFI approved?Do you need new every 3 years?Thanks.

P.S Sorry to hi-jack your thread Vitamin C.

I spoke with A&A today about there blankets. they are the ones that told me if i ran a blanket i would still need a flexplate shield. Thats why im confused, why buy an SFI flexplate, $800+ dollar converter, SFI blanket and still need a metal shield. I have the CSR shield, but was not thrillled about cutting off all the tabs and kickdown linkage tabs to get the shield to fit. What car do you have your shield in? does it fit without hammering the floor out? I understand running the shield would solve all the rule confusion.

I have my CSR shield in a duster, but I'm not running the stock floor so I don't know how it would fit.

go ahead and cut the required stuff off the trans, there is not need for them. in the long run you'll be happy you did it. the blankets are a pain inthe a$$ to deal with and keep the heat in the trans to long. the seam where the firewall meets the trans tunnel will have to be flatened and your good to go.

Is the flexplate shield also SFI approved?Do you need new every 3 years?Thanks.

P.S Sorry to hi-jack your thread Vitamin C.
No, your fine! Im trying to get this figured out. The rule book is like reading somthing from your lawyers office

So the blanket would cover tech in any class down to 10.00? The class designation is also confusing, Im just wanting to run the beginner or ET/ sportsman class. Not sure if im calling it correctly? IHRA Martin MI track.

Does NHRA now have a rule that anything with a power adder (aka nitrous) has to have a shield?

Someone told me this, don't know if its true.

CSr shield did not fit either my 74 duster or 67 Dart gt w/o mods.

This info is right from the 2010 NHRA rule book

Transmission shield meeting SFI Spec 4.1 mandatory on any car running 10.99 (6.99 1/8) or quicker or any car exceeding 135mph.

Automatic trans flexplate meeting SFI Spec 29.1 and flexplate shield meeting SFI Spec 30.1 mandatory on cars running 9.99 (6.39 1/8) or quicker or any car exceeding 135 mph.

So if your car will exceed 135mph you will need it all.

A "blanket" may be used as long as it meets the SFI Spec4.1

Chuck

well i sent back the shield and went with a blanket for starters. What is your ET at 135 mph? what will you hit first 10.99 or 135 mph?

It is confusing. trans shield? trans. blanket ? trans. hard shield, trans. flex plate shied? A flex plate shield is required on cars faster than 9:99, A flex plate shield is not a blanket. It is a separate (required) safety item. If you have a one piece cover it has to have a double certification 4:1 & 30.1. Stay above 10:00.. The flex plate shield will really mess up your day!!!! And your firewall !!!!!

.......My daughter ran 10.98 at 122.4 mph .......10.65 at 126.14..........hopefully faster this weekend......kim......
I couldn`t get a trans sheild in my barracuda, not enough room w/o totally reworking the firewall and floor. already had beefed the tunnel up some when replacing front floor pans. it is a streetcar so they can stick it as far as I`m concerned.
probably won`t race at my age, at anything but mopar meets anyway-if that.

-
Back