shaved door handles

-
what color is your duster rlk?

Blue, LOL JK. Its a blue that I custom mixed up. At least thats what I tell people now after I told some guy what the color came from & about a year later I see a Challenger show up at cruise night looking like it was the same blue. He swears its not the same color but when I look at it I just get pissed off. I get tons of compliments on the color & I want it to stay that way considering "I" painted her almost 13 yrs ago.

damm thats sweet... one question though...where or how do u fill ur tank? And as fas as the trunk noid goes.... can I get one from a supplier or do I need to scower the junk yards?

Jason

damm thats sweet... one question though...where or how do u fill ur tank? And as fas as the trunk noid goes.... can I get one from a supplier or do I need to scower the junk yards?

Jason

I had the guy that did my exhaust modify the stock filler tube so that it turns toward the back of the trunk & just fill up like normal. He cut the tube in half, welded in a 90 & rewelded the pipe together. I don't think I have any pixs of it. As far as the trunk solenoid, either junk yards or e-bay or craigs list. I don't know of any parts suppliers that may have them, maybe some one else will know.

will u please get some pics of the full tube... I'm very interested.... So are u saying u have to open ur trunk to fill ur tank? Also what is the exact name of the trunk noid so I can do a search for it?

Jason

But, but, what if you are in an accident,
and you are knocked unconscious
and there is a fire
and your car might blow up any second
and there's a baby in the back seat

AND GOOD GOD, THE COPS CAN'T OPEN YOUR DOORS!!!!

Seriously,
I need a trunk lock and keys for a '66-'72 A body. Would any of you that have shaved have your old one still?

Thanks,
C

Its wrong to modify these old classics, keep it the way the factory did it...............just kidding, if you want to, go for it. I had a debate with myself on weither to use sideview mirrors. In the end i decided if i was gonna have one on the driverside, i had to get one for the passengerside. So i bought both ($300 though for both together) but they are beautiful.
Once you start doing the hotrod mods though, you gotta keep going with them, meaning if your cars got shaved door handles and door and trunk lid lock gone, you gotten clean up your enginebay, take out the factory stuff (or some of it) and smooth out the firewall as much as possible.

I totally agree dodgenut.now I'm working on a dash panel, and thinking about a center console. The projects are what keep me from getting bored with the same vehicle

Hey USCG, how's the Wheel-Rite working out for you. I'm not in any hurry to get it back I'm just curious.
Jim

Hey USCG, how's the Wheel-Rite working out for you. I'm not in any hurry to get it back I'm just curious.
Jim

lol... I didnt relize that was you.... it's still looks great in the box right next to me...lol....I havent even used that bad boy yet........I'll have her back to ya w/in a month. thx again bud.

Jason

Its wrong to modify these old classics, keep it the way the factory did it...............just kidding, if you want to, go for it. I had a debate with myself on weither to use sideview mirrors. In the end i decided if i was gonna have one on the driverside, i had to get one for the passengerside. So i bought both ($300 though for both together) but they are beautiful.
Once you start doing the hotrod mods though, you gotta keep going with them, meaning if your cars got shaved door handles and door and trunk lid lock gone, you gotten clean up your enginebay, take out the factory stuff (or some of it) and smooth out the firewall as much as possible.

my body guy is already cleaning the fire wall up...taking the heater and a/c stuff out and welding in a smothing out a lot of stuff. all my wires will be tucked under the fender wells as well. If I shave my handles do I keep the side mirrors?

Jason

=D> If you like the look of a smooth door handle less door, do it -- that will look great. It is your car, build it as you wish. The next owner can always put them back it.
Be sure & put a pull cable under the hood as a back up, should the battery die. Here is a link to a company that provides electronic stuff to help with that smooth look being functional...

www.watsons-streetworks.com

=D> If you like the look of a smooth door handle less door, do it -- that will look great. It is your car, build it as you wish. The next owner can always put them back it.
Be sure & put a pull cable under the hood as a back up, should the battery die. Here is a link to a company that provides electronic stuff to help with that smooth look being functional...

www.watsons-streetworks.com

Are u saying put a pull cable under the hood to open the doors?

:thumblef:yeah charger,if you order one of the many kits available, it should come with,and if not order one, emergency entry kit. the electric-life kit I used on my car came with one,the instuctiions are easy

Right, the emergency cable release is in case the electronics fail or lose power. But that's why I decided to not shave the trunk lock. I'm going to mount the electronics for the door solenoids in the trunk which will also allow me to send power to either solenoid directly in the event the receiver or a relay fails. I may also put the emergency release there too. I'm not shaving side mirrors either - for safety and legal reasons.

Just wanted to add that having door handles is part of the older car look unlike the way they try to hide them on todays car. So I would not do it if it was mind. But that is just me...

thx for ur input.... but having a Barracuda bucket vs the bench seat, or taking the dash out and replacing it w/the rocky mountain dash isn't original either.... I guess my point is that this is not a matching #'s car by any means..... I just didnt want it to look like **** after I already did the job.... So any pics would be greatly effective in my case.

Jason

its not an a body but it sure does look clean....

100_0013.jpg

will u please get some pics of the full tube... I'm very interested.... So are u saying u have to open ur trunk to fill ur tank? Also what is the exact name of the trunk noid so I can do a search for it?

Jason

Here are the pixs you requested. Sorry it took to long, the wife had a bunch of stuff in front of the garage & I promised the kids I would take them to Legoland today. It actually looks a 45 pipe that he welded in & not a 90. He also welded a support arm that he welded a washer to it & tapped it so he could bolt it up to a existing hole in the wheel house. It had a nipple on it for venting to the outside but it broke off & I've been to lazy to fix it. The trunk solenoid is a factory piece that was offered in the "A" bodies. I think they came in the later "B" bodies as well. Just try to find one with a inside trunk release. They had a button mounted in the glove box. Yes I have to open the trunk to fill up.

100_6924.jpg

100_6925.jpg

100_6927.jpg

But, but, what if you are in an accident,
and you are knocked unconscious
and there is a fire
and your car might blow up any second
and there's a baby in the back seat

AND GOOD GOD, THE COPS CAN'T OPEN YOUR DOORS!!!!

Seriously,
I need a trunk lock and keys for a '66-'72 A body. Would any of you that have shaved have your old one still?

Thanks,
C

Thats when they would just break a window to get my *** out. I tell that to tech guys at the track when they say they need a way to get me out if I crash. I say if It's that bad then break a frikkin window to get me out. As far as the trunk lock & key set, I think some of the local auto parts stores sell them in the help section. I need my trunk key for the locking glove box.

Are u saying put a pull cable under the hood to open the doors?

A friend's 57 Chevy had a hidden pull cable in the engine compartment & someone here mentioned putting the pull cable in the truck. He also used a Watson Streetworks'
"Mag Tech Entry System" (in the Entry System section) to roll down his driver's window to allow him to reach in & pull the door handle. The trigger is a magnet on his key chain, that he waves over the sensor (various placement options).

looking at that pic its really got me thinking baout shaving my side marker lights as well..... and putting 17's on it.......witha huge lip in the rear....

Jason

-
Back