Shaved Heads

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I think I'm running in to every problem you could possiblely have with shaved head, and the bad thing is I didn't have them shaved. Ya know at first I did not know that you could have so many problems with shaved heads but now I know. Pushrods to long, intake refuses to fit properly and i'm not even close to ridin yet. I dont' know what happen but what appeared as an all stock engine, never had been rebuild or even opened up some how managed to have 68cc J heads when i got every thing home from the Machine shop. I don't know if the Machine shop resurfaced the heads and just cut to much or what, but I'm positive there 68cc one cylinder even ended up 66cc. Now I need custom rods, and the intake had to be cut to match the heads. Man thats ludacris, I dont know if the machine shop thougth they where doin me a favor by cutin the heads or what but they sure know how to make thinks a pain in the ***, pocket to. I kind of figured the shop was up to some thing screwy when they kept sayin i would need adjustable rockers and the valves i had would not fit "2.02". Even though they had already resurfaced and installed new guides i did as any smart person would and pick my heads up and ran. Took them to the machine shop down the street and with in five mins of dropping them off i got another call sayin your going to need adjustable rockers. I was like ok is that all, "expectin him to also say the valves will not fit". But to my surprise these dudes had the valves in the next day. So has any one else had a problem like this? Send parts to the machine shop and then get them back shaved by about 50 thousand's for free. I know it could had been a set that just came out to 70cc stock and the resurfacing could had just lowered it to 68cc but whats the possibablity of 70cc J heads.

Have you thought about using thick head gaskets? They're available in most thicknesses..Just an idea.

possbility of 70cc stock heads is pretty slim, with mopar you never know though. you should have milled the intake face of the heads rather than the intake, just for interchangeability somewhere down the line if you wanted too. I would try and bandaid the situation with some thick head gaskets and see where that got you. i have 56cc j-heads and rocker shims to keep my setup working. stock 318 pistons/rods/deck height

Did the first shop mess up? Probably. Is it "normal", it's possible, but I would say far from "normal". Are you going thru anything unique to an engine rebuild? Not at all. Like Goody siad. A thicker head gasket, or shims under the rocker shafts will address most of it. The big deal is, make sure what ever you do that the rocker geometry is right. How you get it right isnt nearly as big a deal as getting it right.

Just for a note my stock heads CC'd at 72cc before any milling even though there called 68cc's. Chrysler's stock figures weren't to accurate.

-
Back