Sheet metal template?

-

Andre68

Reaction score
I was cutting out the rust of the rear quarter panel (passenger side) in my 68 dodge dart (post). I outlined the bottom left corner area where I was going to cut, and I tried to stencil out some type of template before cutting it but it seemed very difficult to do due to the little curve and angle of the corner. So I figured I would cut it out as then trace out the cut out and just work with the sheet metal until it fit correctly. Only issue was after talking off the front piece of sheet metal (full of rust through holes) I noticed that the back sheet metal was also very rust, so I cut them both out. I tried to make a template but I don't seem to be getting a good fit.

I was wondering if anyone had a template for that area? Or any tips on making a template? Thanks

By the way, I got a hood from a geo for free, so I was just going to cut out sheet metal from the hood, would it work?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 309
You could copy the other side, and mirror it to this side.

X2 on referencing other side. When I did my lower quarters, I did the worst one first, so I had the shape of the better one to work from. (Yours are way better than mine were)
Wherever possible, build it up in layers similar to original. ie front /back pieces you took off. Easier to make the shapes and it will be stronger. Don't know specifically about that year/model how they join, but usually its an outer skin and a trunk extension drop-off. Not sure how your back section(s) connect. Thats not a very big area, so you should be able to follow the existing edge lines for most of it. Did you take any pics before you started cutting? If not, get your camera snapping. Get tons of pics, then when you are ready to work on a specific area take some more. Can never have enough reference shots. If you don't have a pic, check other build threads for some of the area.

X3 or find another car like yours and copy it.
The Geo sheet metal will work, it is thinner though.

Can you see in the hole? If so, take a good look around. My car had a gigantic blob of sealer between the quarter and the trunk extension. The way it was shaped it allowed a small puddle to form causing a rust bubble to appear shortly after the car was painted.

On the curves, you will need to be creative in getting the shape. Bend around other objects, ball peen hammer and wood block, etc. The metal will move/stretch to shape. Making triangle cuts and weld together sometimes gets it close for deep curves. Just get as close as you can with no 'high spots' - filler will blend it in.

thanks for the replies! I did plan on just replicating the drivers side, and just messing with the sheet metal till it was close and as stated, body filler to make it perfect.

Yea it was rusted through. What i think happened was poor weather stripping in the trunk, and then some water just sat at the bottom corner, and seeing the car was parked on like, a hill like yard, it just rusted through the corner!

Unless you're a very good welder I'd stay away from the thinner metal.

What's a good gauge to start with? And where can I get it? Also wouldn't the thinner stuff be a little easier to bend?

I know this is random but, my buddy has a stop sign in his garage that he say I can have, is that too thick? Or just stupid to even suggest?

I know exactly how I'm gonna reference the other side and I think it's gonna be a great idea! I will post pics when I'm done!

What's a good gauge to start with? And where can I get it? Also wouldn't the thinner stuff be a little easier to bend?

I know this is random but, my buddy has a stop sign in his garage that he say I can have, is that too thick? Or just stupid to even suggest?

More than likely that stop sign would be aluminum.

I'm going by mine which is '75, but Body panels, floor, trunk etc is probably all 20ga. I'm pretty sure rockers were 18 and frame 14, Look around for a metals dealer or business that uses sheet metal. You should be able to get their scraps for little or nothing and it will be clean, unpainted and a lot nicer to work with.

I'm going by mine which is '75, but Body panels, floor, trunk etc is probably all 20ga. I'm pretty sure rockers were 18 and frame 14, Look around for a metals dealer or business that uses sheet metal. You should be able to get their scraps for little or nothing and it will be clean, unpainted and a lot nicer to work with.

Good idea!
Forget the stop sign.

heres what i did!

1) I taped off the opposite panel which I was using as a reference.
2) I then placed tin foil over the area and shaped it too form.
3) outlined the cut off area from the tape to the foil
4) cut out the foil template, placed to poster board paper
5)cut out, created template, a couple ours of cutting, smoothing bending, hammer and dolly, and then done!

All I need to do know is grind my welds, body filler and boom!

Attachments

• IMG_1309.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1313.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1315.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1368.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 132
-