Sheet metal?

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
What guage sheet metal should I use to repair some rust issues on the lower fenders? The usual spots our cars rust. What is the orriginal guage for a 67' Barracuda or A-Bodies?

John D. Beckerley
Austin, Texas :cheers:

If your going to be welding in the patches don't use galvanized! If your just going to pop rivet them in it will work. If you have an old door or fender laying around just rape it for the sheet metal and any bends that you can use.

JR is right. Welding galvanized gives off fumes that are not good for you and just makes a mess. I also rob other panels for sheet metal.

I think it`s 18 gauge but that may be just floor pans. Somebody chime in here. I did like the other guys suggested and cannibalized some other body parts for the metal.

John,
If they era small patches, I have some left over 20Ga in the shop, Ill even help you put it together.
Andrew
PS 20 Ga is stock thickness for all body panels

I was cutting in patches on my Demon, I got some scrap piece of paint-loc from a sheet metal shop we use use at work and was having trouble welding them in. I talked to this old boy that chop tops on rat rods and told him about the problems I was having. His wisdom was, "I was welding new steel to old steel." He said to use old panels from the same time frame that my car was from. The steel from 30-40 years ago was made different then it is now and the two pieces will weld different. I had my old fenders and made patches with them. Night and day differents. Now that is all I use if I have old stuff to use. He knew what he was talking about.

Hey Blue Missle,
I might take you up on that. I want to do the work myself at least at first. And then see if I can do a good job of it. I was thinkimng about buying a small lightweight welder A.K.A Harbour freight, and try my hand at cutting and fitting one area. It's been 30 years or so since I did any kind of welding so I would want to practice first on some scrap.

I am pretty sure I can do it. Although someone with more knowledge looking over my shoulder would be cool! Gotta save some coin before I can start that project though! Until then sand, sand, sand and more sanding and stripping. Sand paper is cheap!!!

John B.

Another note on welding.Dont use any type of cleaner like brake clean etc. Simply grind and weld. Weld thru primer is about the only thing I would use.Dont even sand blast as it can leave contaminants on the metal. Grinding leaves a clean rust free surface.

I second that on the cleaning with a grinder and sanding pad! Also, the "fumes" that are created from Galvanized Metal will give you ZINC poisoning! Very nasty situation. If you ever have to weld it, make sure its well ventilated! I have had Zinc Poisoning myself. NO FUN!!!!

I second that on the cleaning with a grinder and sanding pad! Also, the "fumes" that are created from Galvanized Metal will give you ZINC poisoning! Very nasty situation. If you ever have to weld it, make sure its well ventilated! I have had Zinc Poisoning myself. NO FUN!!!!

been there. Doc said to drink lots and lots of milk, and if I ever weld it again to weld 5mins then go out into fresh air for 10mins.

-
Back