Shift Cable Repair

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
There have been prior posts on the automatic trans shift cable housing burning from the exhaust, but I can't locate. Since the cable runs close to the exhaust pipe on both Slant Six's and 273's, probably every early-A has had this problem (or will) though not-post 1965 when Mopar switched to lever shift.

Below are photos of my fix. The shift cable runs inside a flexible housing similar to a speedometer cable, but is over-braided with twisted wire before the plastic cover is extruded. The plastic melts away or flakes off over ~1 ft beside the exhaust pipe. Since the plastic also seals transmission fluid, it leaks thru the metal housing. However, it doesn't hold fluid pressure, just the slight fluid level that sits near the level of the cable.

I overwrapped the twisted wires with stainless steel wire to secure them. You could also use "rebar wire" from Home Depot. To hold the fluid, I push a 11/32" rubber tube over it. That is a perfect fit to the metal fitting at the tranny end, and the smallest size that fits over the other end. Indeed, I had to pour ATF down it and secure the cable in a vise to force it over. I have a floor-shift, so not sure if the far end is the same in column-shift cars. 3/8" tubing will also work and is easier to find. I sealed the end with a hose clamp. The far end is higher and sees no fluid. I squirted silicone RTV around it and wrapped with self-fusing silicone electrical tape to keep out dirt.

If you stop there, it won't last many years. Indeed, my car had a similar 3/8" tubing fix that had burned away. You need to protect the tubing from the heat. Speed shops carry protective sleeves (not cheap). You might also take them off a newer car in the junkyard. My Mopar minivans have long sleeves over the power steering hoses. I used silicone-covered fiberglass sheath, shown coming in at the left (special industrial product). You can make a similar fix on your parking brake cable, which can similarly leak.

If you have more money than time, Imperial Services sells new shift cables for $195, but then us cheap Mopar bastards would be driving Mustangs.

Attachments

• original.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 986
  • over-wrap.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 979
  • PICT2441.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,023
If you have more money than time, Imperial Services sells new shift cables for $195, but then us cheap Mopar bastards would be driving Mustangs.

stay away from Imperial Services.... not reliable... as they are not interested to correct their mistakes. Got a wrong shift-cable from them (cost´s me round about 350 Dollars to have it in my hands here in Germany) the delivered cable is exactly one inch to long (cable housing is correct).... S.C. from Imperial stated that they made a mistake (we shared pics how it should be and how it really was delivered) and that he will come back to me, to send the cable back as soon as they will have new rawmaterials to produce new cables (they run out of stock in June, and he says they will be able to produce again end of August) anyway ....that was the last contact in June, since that... no way to get in contact with Imperial neither phone or email or whatever, no reactions

- seem´s i burned the money ... better had the money invested in a new camshaft, headers, carb or some other motorpart.

anyway.... i fixed my cable this way:
cleaned up the cable-housing - used some abrasive paper to make a rough surface, put some RTV on it and covered the complete housing with some overlapping layers of shrinking hose (as known from electrical installations) - to protect it from heat i used a fuel hose and wrapped it with a heat reflecting aluminium-tape.

Does this also apply to the '65 Valiant, with the center console between bucket seats? (273, V-8, signet)
dave

gotta get mine back on the road, transmission is jammed up somewhere, won't allow shifting.

Does this also apply to the '65 Valiant, with the center console between bucket seats? (273, V-8, signet)
dave

gotta get mine back on the road, transmission is jammed up somewhere, won't allow shifting.

yes - 65 Valiants and B´cudas with bucket seats and console shifting use this kind of shifter cable on their Pushbutton-Tranny

guy told me to get plastic tubing slid it over the bad spot and melt the ends to seal it,sounds ok

lilredridinghoo,
Sorry about your experience w/ Imperial. I never bought from them. That is big money to lose. Major mistake if they made the inner cable 1" too long since it wouldn't be useable. They must refund your money. We can flame them on the internet if they don't. FABO is a big customer pool to disappoint.

jobrated man,
I second the Yes. My 65 Dart has the floor-mounted console shift, so is probably identical.

As 48limo suggested, Tygon tubing (hardware stores) or similar should work. It sounds like heating it (industrial heat gun or paint stripper) softens it to melt onto the fittings and cable. Never tried. Another choice is heat shrink tubing like lilredridinghoo used. I suggest special "adhesive heat shrink". It has a plastic glue inside that melts as it shrinks, that should form a liquid seal, plus thicker and stronger than regular heat shrink. Not easy to find, so best when you can "borrow" from work Johnny Cash style. Check Digikey or Newark catalogs.

For any of above approaches, you must put a heat shield over it or your repair won't last long. When I was a certified "dumb kid", I used thick alum foil like "broiler wrap" on fuel lines and such and it lasted many years. Maybe silicone tubing would survive on its own (~700 F).

thanks BillGrissom, i guess the only way to wake them up - is to spread the story around, but Germany is so far away from USA, that most people don´t care about, espec. Imperial Services it self (Steve C. can you here me !!)

anyway - just a warning for doing business with them, check twice and don´t trust somebody you have never made a deal before - i burned my money and learned it the hard way

So I'm not the only person who had to figure out a way to repair those shift cables...I remember using some sort of silicone, fuel hose, and clamps. I had the tranny rebuilt, and when it was put back in the cables were left unsecured and contacted the exhaust.

It's been fifteen or so years since I did that, and it's never leaked since.

-
Back