Shift Kit Install for a Novice

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I love coming home and seeing a box with stuff in it for our project. I ordered the Transgo shift kit ( for street use ) from Summit.

I don't know anything about the 904 transmission, but I didn't know how to weld sheet metal when we began this project either. The transmission was from a running 73 Swinger. I know the guy and I trust him when he says it ran great.

I'm planning to invert the trans and follow the directions. I understand there is a band adjustment step as part of the installation process. I would appreciate any suggestions on doing other stuff that a novice can handle while I'm at it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• transgo.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 208
They come with very detailed directions. Just follow directions to a tee and you wont have any problems. If you are into it and run into something you don't understand, ASK questions! Have fun, MT

if you have the a 7 1/4 rear end. do NOT make the 1-2 shift like a ton of brick hitting the frame. the spider gears are very week. all so these guys will know ANY Q you have. have known them from the late 60s. http://www.areds.com/ and good place to get parts. 90% of the shops get there parts there.

You picked a great product. IMO ,Transgo is one of the best,in the business.

Thanks. A friend who follows my build thread thinks I should do the tail shaft seal at least while I'm at it. And our rear is a 8-1/4 original to the car, a 74 318/904 Duster. Any guesses as to what the rear gears are?

Mine will drive down to the beach just fine with those gears.....

-
Back