Shift linkage adjustment A-833 /New Process linkage

-

StrokerMcG

'64 'Cudavert
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Recently installed the new engine and rebuild 4-speed in CUDAVRT. All out of a '66 donor. Having trouble adjusting the Inland shifter linkage. The shifter was completely disassembled and cleaned, and seemed to shift correctly when on the bench. I began with the transmission in neutral and with all of the shifter arms evenly aligned. If I get the forward gears to shift, reverse won't engage. The opposite is also true. I've never done one of these, so maybe i started wrong.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
Recently installed the new engine and rebuild 4-speed in CUDAVRT. All out of a '66 donor. Having trouble adjusting the Inland shifter linkage. The shifter was completely disassembled and cleaned, and seemed to shift correctly when on the bench. I began with the transmission in neutral and with all of the shifter arms evenly aligned. If I get the forward gears to shift, reverse won't engage. The opposite is also true. I've never done one of these, so maybe i started wrong.

Any help appreciated!

Found what I needed with a better search!

Thanks anyway
Stroker

Inland shifters are horrible. That said, are all the arms on the side cover pointing up? Then all the shift levers slots must line up with the slot in the shifter. Now all the rods should slip into the holes in the shift levers and trans arms. It will be hard to shift on the bench but should be good when the trans is turning. I assume you have fresh 90 wt gear oil in it.

Make absolutely sure that the levers bolted onto the side of the trans cannot come loose. This is the biggest problem with that transmission.
I put a few drops or Red Loc-Tite in the cavity around the stud between it and the long rectangular slot in the levers, then torque down the special serrated nut, also with a drop of Red. The Red will harden like cement in there and prevent the lever from ever coming loose on it's own. Voila; no more hung-up,or missed shifts.
However, there is a trick to this; the Red will want to migrate up the shaft into the trans, and seize up the works. You have to prevent this. I put a few drops of machine oil on them and let it wick in,prior to beginning the job.
Happy HotRodding.

Make absolutely sure that the levers bolted onto the side of the trans cannot come loose. This is the biggest problem with that transmission.
I put a few drops or Red Loc-Tite in the cavity around the stud between it and the long rectangular slot in the levers, then torque down the special serrated nut, also with a drop of Red. The Red will harden like cement in there and prevent the lever from ever coming loose on it's own. Voila; no more hung-up,or missed shifts.
However, there is a trick to this; the Red will want to migrate up the shaft into the trans, and seize up the works. You have to prevent this. I put a few drops of machine oil on them and let it wick in,prior to beginning the job.
Happy HotRodding.
Many thanks! Will follow the advice of the master,
Stroker

-
Back