I can get a 5800 kit,
Will it be enough? due to the gear ratio
I know governor speed is dependent on tail shaft speed

Does anyone know where to find the gov weight> weights
as in how light the valves are?
for each shift point
Thanks

Last edited:
I too need some and have wondered, if I knew the weights, could I just turn down (remove material) from my weights to change the shift points? Also the mid to late 70s 727 use a different style of weight in the governor.

Would sure love it to shift between 5800 and 6000 under full throttle!

To much thinking, has clouded my thoughts
I want to up the Shift points of a 727 to 5800 rpm
Has a 4500 converter,
4.56 gears 29" tall tire.
This is a 1/8 mile drag car
just shifts to soon

I can get a 5800 kit,
Will it be enough? due to the gear ratio
I know governor speed is dependent on tail shaft speed

Does anyone know where to find the gov weight> weights
as in how light the valves are?
for each shift point
Thanks

I too need some and have wondered, if I knew the weights, could I just turn down (remove material) from my weights to change the shift points? Also the mid to late 70s 727 use a different style of weight in the governor.

Would sure love it to shift between 5800 and 6000 under full throttle!

I think it's A&A trans that has the governor kits, and I heard that if you tell them exactly what gears you have they hit the target shift RPM's really close.
I'll look it up and repost.

Yep, here they are and you need to call them to tell them what you have and what you want the RPM's to be.
I think it was Hotrod network that used them and said they were very accurate on what to send you.

Governor Kits - A&A Transmissions

Bracket racing. If the transmission shifts itself, the same every time, the human factor is gone and the car is more consistent.

If a conventional valve body with the kickdown (throttle pressure valve) is still utilized it will only shift that high under wide open throttle. It will be more "conservative " at part throttle.

Well I don't want to say anything cuz when I'm in the Racers Forum I am Clueless , but in this forum I can sometimes contribute. And Since I just build autos not race them, and my stick car uses three gears to hit 93, with plenty of time to manually shift, I am clueless as to a self-shifting auto based on; I would love to's.
But I can certainly understand consistency.

I want to at least change the 1-2 shift
past the 60ft
move the 3rd shift closer to the finish line

right now shifts are at 4800,
which was ok last year, but puts me between 2 classes (6.50-7.50) @ 6.67, 103mph
Rpm (4500-4800) never seem to change as trans shifted til after 3rd gear

.........So if I'm understanding this right u want the trans to shift automatically all on its own for consistency or r u wanting to shift early and let the gov pressure take over...u will still need manual low to use the band apply so u don't tear out the front clutches....kim......

Yes. The low band apply in an issue. I believe some of the aftermarket shift kits apply it in first even if the trans is left in drive? Otherwise it will be launch in first, shift into third once rolled out shift into third and let the governor take over.

........so by ur burnout r u in drive and letting it shift to second then it is shifting back to low as the wheels grab traction, if ur not shifting back to manual low with the shifter u will surely tear out the rear sprag .......kim.....

.........no kit allows the rear band to be applied if left in drive....the big issue is when the trans automatically shifts back to low from second u need the rear band to be applied to stop the sprag/over running clutch from free wheeling.....as u know what happens after abuse...kim...

Hmmm. Yes. Good info Kim. My last couple cars have been manual valve bodies and i left them i second for the burnout. I need to put more thought into this. Leaving my 55 in low for the burnout just doesnt generate enough wheel rpm. Sorry to hijack the thread.

-
Back