Shifter ID

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy people, I’m trying to identify this Hurst shifter. I though because it came from my mostly A body honey hole that it was A body, but some guy who looked at it vehemently denied that it was A body, or even a Hurst, because of the way the Hurst name is stamped on it. I’d like to get your opinions on it, as I would like it to find a new home. Any input is welcomed and much appreciated.

I added the ball by the way!

FAC3FC35-1960-4D24-92C6-9BB5F7953E9E.jpeg

BC1007E6-1FF5-4D33-AEE7-D4CC7600EBC9.jpeg

AF34E678-162A-4F0F-85FA-9547278546E2.jpeg

38C227C3-27E8-46DD-849B-4E8880C680B3.jpeg

@Princess Valiant Have you seen that single stamped font before? The guy who was looking at it told me the name should be outlined, not single stamped and that it must be a fake.

@Princess Valiant Have you seen that single stamped font before? The guy who was looking at it told me the name should be outlined, not single stamped and that it must be a fake.
Early 68 only. Then in 69 it was outlined.

This is a really early version and the angle of the chrome handle is slightly different than the later handle with the outlined logo

Funny in the foto it looks like a fake because the logo is not centered. Not saying it is but it’s like a Chinese copy of a pocket book or almost any thing. Just off a tad bit. Lol!

Funny in the foto it looks like a fake because the logo is not centered. Not saying it is but it’s like a Chinese copy of a pocket book or almost any thing. Just off a tad bit. Lol!
Funny that there’s not a 68 B body in the place, and in all the time I’ve known the family, they’ve always been into 67-69 Barracudas. Although, I will say that a lot of cars have passed through their system over the years, so it could’ve come from anywhere.

Just remember that "back in the day" some of us had and passed on, bought, sold, traded, A LOT of parts, many of them CHEAP. I once bought a 69 A833 for something like 75 bucks with a shifter

Definitely real. I have the exact same one. Someone over on fbbo would probably be interested in it. Supposedly the single script is harder to come by than the outlined.

Chrysler switched back to the Hurst shifter approx half way through the 68 model year. Remember they had used Inland shifters 1966-68. Anyone who has, or had, struggled with the Inland JUNK will understand why. Jam City!

Edit: 64-65 shifters were also Hurst-sourced.

The order was hurriedly placed with Hurst to get production going after much bad feedback. You will notice the machining marks on the flats and they just stamped "HURST" somewhat crudely. The Chrysler round handles are unique as the typical over-the-counter handles were the familiar flat style.

Anyway, the double outline name logo reappeared, for sure by the 69 model year.

Last edited:
Chrysler switched back to the Hurst shifter approx half way through the 68 model year. Remember they had used Inland shifters 1966-68. Anyone who has, or had, struggled with the Inland JUNK will understand why. Jam City!

The order was hurriedly placed with Hurst to get production going after much bad feedbach. You will notice the machining marks on the flats and they just stamped "HURST" somewhat crudely. The Chrysler round handles are unique as the typical over-the-counter handles were the familiar flat style.

Anyway, the double outline name logo reappeared, for sure by the 69 model year.
Well, you hit the mail on the head, it looks like they had the 3rd grade class doing the stamping. But I’m glad to hear that it’s Mopar, and thst it’s correct for early 68 B bodies. I appreciate your insight, and all the great members who chimed in to help!

-
Back