Shifter Knob Restoration

-

homecloned

Can't re Member
Reaction score
Just some pics of my shifter knob resto. Not great but next time should be better. Looks more like travertine.:-D

DSC00006 (Custom).JPG

DSC00007 (Custom).JPG

DSC00010 (Custom).JPG

DSC00012 (Custom).JPG

DSC00017 (Custom).JPG

DSC00020 (Custom).JPG

Curious How did you "rough" it up? It looks like you rolled it on rough concrete.

Curious How did you "rough" it up? It looks like you rolled it on rough concrete.
Sorry, I ment to add that. I heated up a wire brush and tried to poke and slide it across the plastic. I did not practice on anything first which I should have.
Then I painted some dark brown Testors model paint in the deep areas last night, lightly sanded this morning and hit the surface with some thinned out lighter brown. Then sprayed 3 coats of clear.

Very nice first attempt. When you figure out how to get the shift pattern back into a 4-speed ball...I'm all ears. I've got my old Swinger knob that could use a resto. Who'd a thunk....

I think you dun a very good job :cheers: Very creative and looks like is suppose too.=P~
I went back and looked at the first picture:-k then the last :clock:
Yep :blob:You sure did a good job getting it back in to shape homecloned :thumleft:

Nice job on it. I have the same shifter knob, but never thought of changing it to a "distressed" appearance. Very cool idea.

Very nice first attempt. When you figure out how to get the shift pattern back into a 4-speed ball...I'm all ears. I've got my old Swinger knob that could use a resto. Who'd a thunk....
Thanks Outsider. The four speed pattern should't be to diffficult. It all depends in getting the numbers close. A # punch set might be a tad smaller but would work.
I think you dun a very good job :cheers: Very creative and looks like is suppose too.=P~
I went back and looked at the first picture:-k then the last :clock:
Yep :blob:You sure did a good job getting it back in to shape homecloned :thumleft:

Thank's memike, 95% of the textured/wood grain pattern was worn smooth, but I noticed what I could see was just a series of dots and scrapes. Got thinking about it and came up with this. I would use a different wire method next time and not do that part after 8 Bud Lights.:toothy10:
Nice job on it. I have the same shifter knob, but never thought of changing it to a "distressed" appearance. Very cool idea.

Thank's 340_dart, "distressed" I like it! I was really trying to get it close but I think it looks more like Ford's wood grain finish which has kind of a stone look. It would look great with your refinished console. :-D

I will clean up my console today and mount back in the car and snap some pics.

-
Back