shifter mounting bolts

-

DEWEZE

Reaction score
How tight should the shifter mounting bolts be. The allen head bolts. Can you heat the bolts to loosen them

You almost always have to use heat.
They tend to seize by electrolysis.
If they are not loctited they tend to come loose.
If you apply too much twist to the socket, there is a real good chance you will rip out the socket, and then you will have big trouble.
With a cast iron tail I have had good success heating the threaded bosses on the tail, behind the adapter.I use quite a bit of flame.
With aluminum, I have had better success heating the bolts themselves.And use less heat, and more time. When heating around aluminum with an open flame, you have to be careful to not melt it; Use a fine tip, and keep the torch moving.If the bolts have been loctited, they will come loose fairly quickly.If they are seized it takes more time.If it seems to be taking too much time, it is best to quit, let everything cool and try the wrench again. If it still won't budge, it's time to start over, on cold parts.
I have successfully reused heated black bolts.These black bolts are high quality. The nickel plated stuff may not survive.
IIRC those bolts are 5/16 which in cast iron would be about 15 to 17 ftlbs. In aluminum, a couple of ftlbs less, with blue loctite.
Good luck

Last edited:
You almost always have to use heat.
They tend to seize by electrolysis.
If they are not loctited they tend to come loose.
If you apply too much twist to the socket, there is a real good chance you will rip out the socket, and then you will have big trouble.
With a cast iron tail I have had good success heating the threaded bosses on the tail, behind the adapter.I use quite a bit of flame.
With aluminum, I have had better success heating the bolts themselves.And use less heat, and more time. When heating around aluminum with an open flame, you have to be careful to not melt it; Use a fine tip, and keep the torch moving.If the bolts have been loctited, they will come loose fairly quickly.If they are seized it takes more time.If it seems to be taking too much time, it is best to quit, let everything cool and try the wrench again. If it still won't budge, it's time to start over, on cold parts.
I have successfully reused heated black bolts.These black bolts are high quality. The nickel plated stuff may not survive.
IIRC those bolts are 5/16 which in cast iron would be about 15 to 17 ftlbs. In aluminum, a couple of ftlbs less, with blue loctite.
Good luck

just stick a punch in the bottom of the allen head hole and smack it with a hammer good and hard. unless they were loctited they will usually spin right out. The punch impact breaks the seal. same thing with factory exhaust studs.

-
Back