Shifter not going into 3 & 4

-

Cazbah362

Reaction score
OK, have a 68 A833 I just set up with a competition plus shifter. It shift fine for reverse, 1 & 2, however 3 & 4 do not move. It feels like the shifter mechanism is not grabbing inside the shifter.

Could someone of put this together wrong, or is there something else simple. Also, does someone have a blow up picture of this or how the plates are suppose to be assembled?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 224
There is a brass or bronze fork inside that changes these 2 gears, more than likely it is broken I broke one at the drags power shifting. It's a relatively easy fix.If you remove the side cover you'll know right away if that's your problem.

Trad - inside the shifter?, the transmission shifts fine by hand, but I will look.

Umm - yea, I removed the aligning tool (aka small bolt) prior to testing. It wouldn't go into anything since it locks the entire mechanism.

Dave - funny, I read that like three time and I just noticed I had the revers rod to center part of the mechanism and 3/4 to the outside closest to shifter. I now have them exactly like the photo shown by trudysduster.

AND I still have the problem, seems forward gears (closest to bell housing) move for 1/2, if you pull the shifter to you (like you would be going for reverse) back top move. Reverse does not move at all same as before.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 203
Is it possible to build these backwards? does this look correct. I hate buying others peoples upgrades!

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 191
I don't know if that's correct for that shifter. Maybe someone can chime in.
Do you know for sure the trans can be shifted manually with the tabs disconnected? And then back to neutral position to verify turning the input does not turn the output?
When you know trans is in neutral the tabs should lay right on with the pin in the shifter. I try to make sure I can get all forward gears before I attach the reverse.

Dave - ok, I did confirm I did find neutral by tail-shaft not spinning. Just for giggles, 3/4 are closest to clutch, 1/2 are closer to tail-shaft. I can lever the shifter over to first, goes from 1/2 no problem, from 2nd to third, shifter pops and transitions over to 3/4 no problem.

Issue is trying to find reverse, seems the shifter mechanism is not locating and attaching to the shifter lever internally. I have string armed it all the way to the left (towards your body as your are sitting in car) and still nothing for reverse. This seems like a shifter issue, not transmission or linkage issue.

So I do have all forward gears and they row through fine, just seems reverse is not catching.

All- please disregard, it now works. Not sure what was binding, but I will be taking a bit of closer look when I have a chance - We shift nicely now, why?

All- please disregard, it now works. Not sure what was binding, but I will be taking a bit of closer look when I have a chance - We shift nicely now, why?

Good to hear its shifting now.

Maybe the shifter kicked up a burr and was hanging.

Don't know if you've changed anything since the pic in post #7 but the swivel on the 1-2 rod is on the wrong side of the arm, the two clip sides of the swivels should be facing each other.

Daliant, I did. Still had the problem. Was having problems still, so I angerly yanked on it a 2 year old tantrum since I couldn't find hammer to fix it. After I walked away and came back, it worked? I think something was bound up in the shitfer

To me it sounds like an alignment problem.
-I think you need to get a proper 1/4 inch alignment dowel. If you take a look at that bolt you will see that the threaded area is a smaller od than the shank. I would just find a longer bolt with about a 2.5 inch shank, and cut off the threaded portion.Now you have a proper tool.That tool has to go all the way through and out the other side to be effective.When its been correctly inserted there will be very little wiggle room.
-Realign the gate and it should work much better.Using a bolt with a threaded section, that does not go all the way through will get results exactly as you describe.The engagement hole in the reverse-gate shim is a tight tolerance fit and thus very sensitive.

To me, it does not look like you have a Mopar shifter. I have to agree that all the shift rods have to slip into their shifter holes with the proper alignment pin in all the way. Sounds like the shifter is suspect if that fails to get it right?

AJ, that may be the issue, I will tighten the tolerances later when I inspect and use you suggestion, definitely something is tight in the shifter.

66, may not be, however it seems to be working

...66, may not be, however it seems to be working

If the shifter if good, and the linkage can be adjusted and does not interfere with anything, it should not matter if it is a Mopar specific shifter. It just did not have that Mopar reverse length shifter arm. I only point it out because that seems to be your only problem now. The Chrysler reverse arm has to travel quite a bit to engage reverse, unlike 1-2 and 3-4.

66 - got it, understand and thank you. I always was was wondering what the difference was and how it effected the operations. I wish factory Mopar one where more reasonable in price.

-
Back