shifter

-

moparstud440

Reaction score
I have a 1968 model console shifter in my car. Everything works as it should however when driving down the road the knob rattles inside of the housing. Is there anyway to fix this? Is there a certain adjustment that will help this or do I just need a new. Has anyone tried a new knob in their old assembly or are both pieces usually worn?

Is the spring below the shift button in place? There's a 3/32 allen screw on the shifter knob that might be loose?

Here's a diagram that may help...

IMG_2186 (Medium).JPG

you might loosen the allen screw and screw the knob with button up or down a turn or three just to see if that makes a difference. This adjustment is present for how high the button rests, so I don't know if it would stop a rattle between button and knob.
To the bone... post reads like you car shakes much more than it should. Reminds me of what Harley riders call flumes. A Harley will shake aftermarket mirrors and such right off them. Those pieces fly past the heads of following riders like "flume".

Last edited:
One more thing... if the button knob assembly doesn't turn easily, like 1/4 to 1/2 turn and it springs back... I have seen the threaded end of the cable seized into the knob. To force it can break the threaded stud off the end of the cable.

One more thing... if the button knob assembly doesn't turn easily, like 1/4 to 1/2 turn and it springs back... I have seen the threaded end of the cable seized into the knob. To force it can break the threaded stud off the end of the cable.

Everything works freely as it should. With the car idling the shifter doesn't rattle. Didn't notice it until took it out for the 1st test drive. I carefully wrapped electrical tape around the knob twice to help take up some of the gap and the rattle stopped. I'll end up replacing it at some point just seems mine must be worn pretty good.

-
Back