Shims front hanger

-

terry

Reaction score
Hi folks, if i put a 3/8 thick shim between the frame and front leaf spring hanger for tire clearence and the wheel well will i be also loading the rear springs? Good or bad ? Street driven car.
Thanks
terry

Theoretically you should also move the rear shackle back 3/8", but as long as the shackle never contacts the frame you should be fine.

Shouldn't hurt a thing. I put a 1/2" plate on mine to center the tires in the wheel well opening.

I also used a 1/2" spacer block. Looks good, and no problems from a suspension standpoint.
C

Recheck insertion of the driveshaft yoke in the trans if a spacer block is used. 1/2" block equates to 1/2" less insertion.

Thanks folks right now i have 1 inch to push the drive shaft in before it bottoms out so i think i will be ok. I may go with 3/8 to 7/16 thick material. Is alum. Ok to use or steel only? And the studs are just a axel lug nut studs ? I'm
thinking i may need to go with longer ones pending on what thickness of the shim i use.

I used 1/2" Al plate and got some grade 8 bolts to use.
Good catch on the drive shaft. I was having one shortened so this wasn't an issue for me and I didn't think about it.
C

-
Back