Shipping a car across Canada

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I just applied for a quote to see about shipping a car across Canada. Price was $2400... but the kicker was.... it would take a MONTH to get the car from Ontario to British Columbia. What are they doing, PUSHING the car across Canada?

It is probably because it will be handled by several haulers and be sitting in warehouses in the interim. You are very likely to end up with a damaged car if that is the case with everyone denying they caused it.

Im flying home to Ontario May long weekend then coming back to Sask. I would be happy to drive it 1/2 way cross country for you...LOL

It is probably because it will be handled by several haulers and be sitting in warehouses in the interim. You are very likely to end up with a damaged car if that is the case with everyone denying they caused it.

Yeah I won't be going with that company. Waiting from the quotes for the two others here in Canada.

It's ridiculous. I had a quote for 2K from Sask to Ontario and another for $600.00 US from Oklahoma to Buffalo NY. US Haulers won't come into Canada and we get screwed. Geez, it costs a hundred bucks to get your car hauled (flat decked) to the body shop, in town.

I know, I know, Insurance costs, fuel, lower volume of freight in Canada means it can take a month to get a two-way load. Blah,blah,blah.

What about containerized shipping with the railways? Betcha there is a business model in there if you can get you load into a standard size container and access the high-volume freight channel, railways, trucking, etc...

Until then I am resolved to having to go get it myself when I find a car I want. Pete

Im flying home to Ontario May long weekend then coming back to Sask. I would be happy to drive it 1/2 way cross country for you...LOL

LOL, that made me laugh......but if Steve gets it to Saskatchewan, maybe Kimmer could get it to me here in Southern Alberta, I could get it to central B.C. and we could meet somewhere in the middle!
:cheers:

i shipped a car from Ontario to Victoria via rail...about $1000 4 years ago,and that was from Scarborough too.

It's ridiculous. I had a quote for 2K from Sask to Ontario and another for $600.00 US from Oklahoma to Buffalo NY. US Haulers won't come into Canada and we get screwed. Geez, it costs a hundred bucks to get your car hauled (flat decked) to the body shop, in town.

I'm not too sure about that, there is a company based not too far from me that runs all of the US including Alaska. Mexico and Canada too.

i shipped a car from Ontario to Victoria via rail...about $1000 4 years ago,and that was from Scarborough too.

By rail the car is dropped off in Vancouver. I'd have to fly to Vancouver and rent a truck and trailer myself to get the car home whenever I got my days off and could get back to BC.

Ontario to B.C. is only half way across Canada. There is a part of Canada east of Ontario. LOL

Have you tried talking to a local long haul trucker. Sometimes if they have a load one way they will bring something back on the cheap. If the one you talk to doesn't he might know somebody that does.

Jack

Same company I just spelled it wrong, but yes, that is where I got my quote, $2400 and one month to cross canada

Well, they can't just load your car and drive from one side to the other without any other cars on board. There will be multiple drop offs and pick ups along the way.

With that said, 2400 seems about twice what it should be.

You are up in Williams lake and you want the car hauled 4500 km and dropped to you. How many cars do you think they would be shipping in to Williams Lake. And then the truck would probably have to run empty back to a shipping lane to get a load. $2400 is not a bad deal. I ran my pickup and trailer out to three hills alberta and picked up a car and used over $1200 in gas plus 5 long days driving.
Truckers don't get paid much - but they do get paid.
And you can't compare rates for shipping into motor city when a lot of trucks run back there empty. See what it costs to go from Buffalo or Detroit to Oklahoma.

Drache-I would ship the car by rail to vancouver and have a local hotshot bring it up to Williams Lake. You might be in for $1600 and have it in 9 days.

You are up in Williams lake and you want the car hauled 4500 km and dropped to you. How many cars do you think they would be shipping in to Williams Lake. And then the truck would probably have to run empty back to a shipping lane to get a load. $2400 is not a bad deal. I ran my pickup and trailer out to three hills alberta and picked up a car and used over $1200 in gas plus 5 long days driving.
Truckers don't get paid much - but they do get paid.
And you can't compare rates for shipping into motor city when a lot of trucks run back there empty. See what it costs to go from Buffalo or Detroit to Oklahoma.

Drache-I would ship the car by rail to vancouver and have a local hotshot bring it up to Williams Lake. You might be in for $1600 and have it in 9 days.

Shipping in to Oklahoma isn't too bad since I-40, I-44 and I-35 all cross the state. All of them cross in the OKC area.

i shipped a car from Alberta to NS..took a month..was on several different types of transportation(truck&train). Not a scratch..and you can buy ins for damage.

the worst thing you can do is Uship. Seldom insurance, seldom a professional driver, seldom know anything about securing a car. Seldom have proper equipment. I've seen cars on trailers secured by a ratchet strap on the tierod. no no no LOL -not Uship.

And oklacc- its not the hwys in but rather the fact that the transports have full loads going out of motor city.
Its the same with Kansas City. Its easy and cheap to get a car to Kansas City and expensive to ship it out of there. Ford takes up all the outgoing capacity.

A friend of mime has had good luck with TFX International. They have a location in west end of Toronto 416-243-8531 or 1-800-600-5735

LOL, that made me laugh......but if Steve gets it to Saskatchewan, maybe Kimmer could get it to me here in Southern Alberta, I could get it to central B.C. and we could meet somewhere in the middle!
:cheers:

The FABO pony express...I know we can make it work!

Check with Hanson,s..they,re located in Scarborough,Ontario(Toronto).

Top quality company from what I have heard.

I tried the uship to get quotes and it works great. BUT the idea of that is you go to the lowest bidder....doesnt always work out for the best

Try Oakwood Transport, they deliver for dealerships ALL the time.

OR you could also get in touch with your local new car dealership??
They ship all the time from Ontario car MFG's to out west.

-
Back