Shipping parts- new way to me. Thought I’d share.

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So recently I got fed up with prices shipping over the counter at USPS and UPS.

I bought a scale from Amazon for like $35
And some packing supplies (to add to my pile already.)
And I signed up at Pirateship.com
I just sent a a guy parts at 1/2 what I was looking at via USPS 13”x13”x13” 20lbs. My box.
($31 vs $64)
Not sure if this is a help or there is a better way but thought I’d share.
Sick what they are charging for parts shipping right now.
Syleng1

I just sent a a guy parts at 1/2 what I was looking at via USPS 13”x13”x13” 20lbs. My box.
($31 vs $64)
Syleng1
Pirate Ship has been discussed extensively here on this forum, but it's always good for someone else to bring up the topic all over again, for people that missed other postings, in regards to shipping costs.

Here's one posting.
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/search/9926568/?q=pirate+ship&t=post&c[content]=thread&c[users]=hemi71x&o=relevance

Last edited:

($31 vs $64)
Syleng1
I don't know how this actually works but doesn't the person who's buying pay for the shipping cost? Do the part(s) and shipping get paid for ahead of time? Curious on how this is done

The "seller" sends the "buyer" the shipping quote to get the parts from point A, to point B.
If the buyer agrees on the shipping cost, pays the seller for it, the seller then goes to his Pirate Ship account, and prints out the shipping label.
Pirate Ship will have the sellers account information on file, and to be paid thru Pay Pal, credit card, or his bank account.
Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Also, what is nice, knowing the box size and weight (from the scale you can buy and use at home) it takes literally 2minutes and you can give a shipping quote. Even if you want multiple quote from USPS UPS FedEx and different routes like 1 day, 2 day or ground 4-5 to save money or time.
Syleng1

I've used parcelmonkey.com with good results. I was trying to remember pirate ship.com, see if it's cheaper or easier to get a quote. Parcel monkey requires the buyers address, phone and email for an accurate price.

I've used parcelmonkey.com with good results. I was trying to remember pirate ship.com, see if it's cheaper or easier to get a quote. Parcel monkey requires the buyers address, phone and email for an accurate price.
So far they (pirate ship) only require sellers info. Probably to cut down on the possibility of shipping bad stuff. I’m not sure if they verified me other than my CC matched who I said I was.

So far they (pirate ship) only require sellers info. Probably to cut down on the possibility of shipping bad stuff. I’m not sure if they verified me other than my CC matched who I said I was.
They have the same rates on both sites, but not having to get all the buyers info is nice. I'm getting on board, Arrr!

Who ends up doing the actual shipping? UPS, Fed Ex, USPS, or? Whoever does the actual shipping gives pirateship a better rate?

Who ends up doing the actual shipping? UPS, Fed Ex, USPS, or? Whoever does the actual shipping gives pirateship a better rate?
Pirate Ship gives you their rates thru the UPS shipper, but they also can quote you a rate thru the USPS, if you so desired.

They are just middle men. It’s like Pitney Bowes or something was actually on the label as the end seller / negotiator.
USPS -in this case makes a deal with the company and then the company sells access to the shippers via a web program.
Each one makes a few cents or a percentage per package. The more you buy from them the better your rate.

It says what shipper and price when you get a quote, there's multiple options. If you check the listed shippers sites, and compare them to pirate ship or parcel monkey, they are usually half the cost.

I've been using Pirate Ship for a few months and it really is quite a bit cheaper than going straight to the UPS store. Plus, since you already have a shipping label, I can just pop into the store and get the package scanned into the system. No more waiting around while some kid tries to measure the box and calculate shipping.

I've pretty much used Pirate Ship exclusively since I learned of it from @CudaChick1968 a while back.

One thing you need to be careful of when creating labels that you are sending to someone else to ship stuff back to you is, make sure you get the from and to sections filled out correctly. The Pirate Ship system will automatically populate the "From" section with your address when you start a label. You have to go in and change it before you hit "Print label" or it's too late. I screwed up and got it backwards the other day when I was printing a return label for Mopar Leo to send my door hinges back when he gets them restored. Pirate Ship will return your money for the label if you cancel it, but it's easier to avoid it by double checking everything before you print.

I've pretty much used Pirate Ship exclusively since I learned of it from @CudaChick1968 a while back.

One thing you need to be careful of when creating labels that you are sending to someone else to ship stuff back to you is, make sure you get the from and to sections filled out correctly. The Pirate Ship system will automatically populate the "From" section with your address when you start a label. You have to go in and change it before you hit "Print label" or it's too late. I screwed up and got it backwards the other day when I was printing a return label for Mopar Leo to send my door hinges back when he gets them restored. Pirate Ship will return your money for the label if you cancel it, but it's easier to avoid it by double checking everything before you print.
Thanks for that nugget of info. I’m new to shipping stuff and some typos can cost you big time. Syleng1

How high will the scale you bought read? I need to get one as well. My wife has a fancy schmancy food scale, but if I tried to weigh a disc brake assembly it would probably explode in cartoon fashion....lol.

I used the bathroom scale (digital) to ship a 70 pound pair of leaf springs this week. I also have a smaller food scale to weigh boxes up to 5 pounds.

Pirate shipping made a big difference to us ( my wife and I, she took care of the shipping end ) sometimes half of what you get at the post office. And a 1/4 of the UPS stores ( to be avoided at all cost )
But the key to cheaper shipping with Pirate is keep the boxes as small as possible. I had access to a boat / hardware store that had a dumpster for clean cardboard boxes I would raid on a weekly basis ! And we shipped a lot of stuff, Pirate was the best we found. You get a choice of shipping UPS and Usps to compare price.

How high will the scale you bought read? I need to get one as well. My wife has a fancy schmancy food scale, but if I tried to weigh a disc brake assembly it would probably explode in cartoon fashion....lol.
I purchased this Accuteck scale.
It was recommended to me, when i started using Pirate Ship and i in turn would recommend it to others.
Good to 50 pounds.
I'm a happy camper with it.

Accuteck Scale.jpg

200kg or 440lbs
IMG_4135.jpeg

-
Back