Shipping Sh....tuff

-

Daves69

Reaction score
I've been looking at shipping costs for this set of control arms from Chi area to a member at the furthest point northwest in Washington state. These are a touch over 10 lbs. (on my fish scale) each with approximate dimensions of 15" X 9" X 6". I'm stunned on what I'm finding from USPS, UPS, and FedEx. Almost $40 to ship the pair from all of them. I've used USPS "Flat Rate" for smaller stuff. I found yesterday a "Flat Rate" box size that accommodates the items that will ship in Illinois is not acceptable in Washington.:wack:

Questions for the folks that ship parts......
Is this cost in line with what you've been seeing?
Omitting Greyhound, what shipping outfit do you prefer to use?
All tips or recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• BcudaCntrlArms.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 277
Yes shipping is so crazy.. So expensive now..what I usually PERFER to use USPS and then if not I use UPS but I like to use USPS as it is cheaper

The price of shipping has caught up with the price of gas.... :finga: :banghead:

Just sent out over 30 shipping quotes in the last 2 days and needless to say it is sticker shock for myself and the buyer, it is outrageous. I also wish there was another method. Unfortunately for all of us beginning of the year all the prices will go up even more!

I sell a lot of rebuilt lower control arms on this site from time to time.
I'm in the Sacramento, California area of the state, and if i have to FEDEX out a pair of LCA's to east coast states, it's now costing $50.00 to get them there.
But i do also insure the package, and send it out signature delivery required, at the other end.

So ya, your shipping quote is right in line, in this day and age.
That's the way it is, and can't do anything about it, by any of the carriers, now a days.

hemi71x,
I like that signature required thing.
Does that increase the cost beyond insuring?
Have you had items returned for refused or no signature?
If so, were there return fees charged to you?

hemi71x,
I like that signature required thing.
Does that increase the cost beyond insuring?
Have you had items returned for refused or no signature?
If so, were there return fees charged to you?

Ya, signature delivery fee, costs $3.00.
I had one item returned, when i used to do ebay, but haven't in the past 2 + years, when a buyer must have had buyers remorse, in purchasing the LCA's.
I didn't get charged on the return shipping back to me.

But i have an account with FEDEX, so i don't know if that might have something to do with it.

I think you got bad advice from postal clerk. Flat rate box is universal within their (USPS) system with regard to size and weight (but not cost) in all 50 states AND U.S. protectorates like Somoa or Guam. If these fit in a USPS flat rate box (large) it would only be $18.00 to ship. the only time I've ever had flat rate box rejected by the USPS is when the items bulge the box out to far in one way or another. Also flat rate boxes have tracking included in price.

When i send out a pair of LCA's, i use a box, 16 x 16 x 6 to package them up in, and the package weighs in at approximately 27 pounds with packing.
I use crumpled, balled up, newspaper as stuffing, filler, to pack the parts, good.
Your not gonna get a pair of LCA's into a flat rate box.

I think you got bad advice from postal clerk. Flat rate box is universal within their (USPS) system with regard to size and weight (but not cost) in all 50 states AND U.S. protectorates like Somoa or Guam. ................

:dontknow:.
Hmmmmmm........ That got me looking at the box they gave me. So it doesn't say "flat rate" on it. It's termed "regional rate". The large "flat rate" box is too small to fit even one control arm.

I just received a pair of complete 71 charger hideaway headlights minus the bumper and it was a total of 42.00 from Pennsylvania to Colorado through USPS. I thought that was damn good myself.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it's time for "The Shipping Shell Game"!! You gotta know, and use multiple carriers to get parts to people economically! I typically use flat rate boxes whenever I can, and have a FedEx account tied to my Paypal account for just shipping parts that get paid by Paypal! Using my Fedex account is at least 10% cheaper than just paying cash there, and is good for shipping odd sized boxes! I never use anything but the Postal service to ship to Canada, and most times overseas, and will use Greyhound for items too big to ship fedex! I don't use UPS because they are more expensive than fedex apples to apples!

See you next time on the Shipping Shell Game, goodnight folks!!!

The regional box is the wrong box, go and look at the different sized flat rate boxes andvi bet one will work. Also consider sending it parcel post. This time of year it might only add a day or two but will cost much less. You can't see the parcel post price on USPS.com but you can using PayPal or stamps.com or by going in to the window clerk. I'm a 15 year mailman and know we beat UPS and FedEx pricing for the common man. Big companies get good rates with those guys but not everyone else. Also never use those shipping services type stores especially the UPS store. They automatically double the postage and pocket 1/2 for themselves.

Also never use those shipping services type stores especially the UPS store. They automatically double the postage and pocket 1/2 for themselves.

And don't insulate your packages properly, then stiff you on the insurance and not pay... :finga:

Then want me to pay a second time to send the replacement that they BROKE THE FIRST TIME... :finga: :finga: :finga:

I don't reward failure with more business, so I took it to the post office and they beat the UPS price and they got it there quicker and cheaper than UPS... :wack:

So since they don't honor their insurance claims when they screw up a package, I do not ship UPS. :finga:

The regional box is the wrong box, go and look at the different sized flat rate boxes andvi bet one will work. ..............

Hersbird,
Thanks, I do realize the regional is incorrect.
Trying to fit a pair LCAs approximate dimensions of each are 15" X 9" X 6".

Unless they have other sizes at the PO the "flat rate" boxes offered online are too small.

$44.95
Priority Mail Express™
Flat Rate Boxes

13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8"
11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2

$17.90 Priority Mail™
Large Flat Rate Box

23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3"
12" x 12" x 5-1/2"

To the OP (and maybe to the FABO member who is getting the control arms): if you remove the pivots, they will fit in the 24x12x3 large flat rate box. If the pivots need to remain installed (maybe new bushings were installed, then your best best is to use FedEx as was suggested. General speaking if I can't ship by USPS due to size or weight, I use FedEx

To date I have had the best luck using USPS. My packages are light( aluminum bumper brackets), but sometimes bulky. USPS will pick up no charge at my home during my regular pick up. I usually schedule the pick up the day before but my postman will still come up to the house if I leave a note on the mailbox. I live at a rural address. If I find I cannot get a reasonable price online then I will send parcel post.

Hersbird,
Thanks, I do realize the regional is incorrect.
Trying to fit a pair LCAs approximate dimensions of each are 15" X 9" X 6".

Unless they have other sizes at the PO the "flat rate" boxes offered online are too small.

$44.95
Priority Mail Express™
Flat Rate Boxes

13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8"
11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2

$17.90 Priority Mail™
Large Flat Rate Box

23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3"
12" x 12" x 5-1/2"

I thought they might fit at an angle in the 12x12. Probably not. So put them both in one box and send them parcel post. It will be under $30 which is less then 2 flat rate boxes anyway. They just won't fly from Chicago to Seattle but that's no more then a 3 day ride by truck anyway so it's only a 2 day add tops.

-
Back