Shipping to Canada

-

Mrmopartech

Reaction score
Please make comments about by the USA people,not all of them,don,t want to ship to Canada,even if we pay full amount up front for the item and shipping,as this is one of those things that eats my brain away,as I ship to the usa,canada and over seas parts of all kinds,with no big deal????????????Mrmopartech

Those people that won't ship outside of their country, especially on Ebay are really their own worst enemy, they end up taking a loss on what the item really could have sold for. Your potential to make more money is increased when you allow both both U.S and Canadian residents to buy it, but I can fully understand sellers that don't want to ship overseas.
What they don't understand that up here in Canada is a large number of classic and muscle car owners. At the end of the day, its still the same place they need to go when shipping in or out of the country, not like its an inconvenience in anyway.
Honestly Mrmopartech, I don't even get upset about it anymore, just shake my head and laugh.

I sent some t-shirts to Canadian members thru the post office and didn't see any great hassle with an extra form. Is it different for other stuff ?

Mrmopartech bought an item a while back and the seller wouldn't ship it.
I drove up and got it and shipped it out to Mrmopartech. Wasn't any
big deal with the paperwork.

I don't know why sellers see it as a problem.

I have run into it myself. Even after telling them I will pay in full for all costs up front, no dice. Never could understand it. I have shipped things just about everywhere, it's just not a big deal.

Jack

I've had lousy luck shipping to Germany (it's fine ... as long as you don't send Uli a Slim Jim beef stick along with his firewall gaskets LOL) but Canada is easy to ship to using the Post Office. A set of valve covers cost $25 to get there versus about $12 stateside, but it's relatively painless and doesn't take that long to get there. You only need a Customs Declaration for items over a pound, but the paperwork is simple. I don't see what the big deal is myself.

For crying out loud, if you're doing it on ebay, you just do it all via "ship in a click" or whatever its called. Its brain dead simple. I ship stuff all over the world. I gave up the post office lineup ages ago, bought a little scale and do all my postage right from my PC.
I don't know why its so hard. And a lot of times, us Canucks will pay stupid money for stuff because we just can't get it up here.
Oh well, their loss.

I do ship to Canada, and will again. But............here is another perspective. These are most likely my concerns mainly due to where I live.

Here we go:

1. My local UPS store does not ship out of country. I am looking into doing that online, but right now I need to drive 50 miles to ship. (my problem)

2. USPS will ship no problem. They will not ship with confirmation unless I up the shipping class. As in a 37 lbs. box that I shipped yesterday was $83.00. If I added the class that got me confirmation it was $157.00.

3. To help the guy out, I didn't up the shipping. So........if he says he didn't get it, I have no real proof. I took a pic of it at the PO along with the paperwork.....and I have faith.

4. Most times, I can sell it in the USA and get all of the stuff done from home and have less work.

There is some risk. It takes time and some people are lazy. I also think there is alot of ignorance regarding shipping in general.

There are some extenuating circumstances for some people. For me it is location and resources such as no Greyhound, local UPS no out of country etc.

Hope that helps.

ROB

Here is thier problem in a nut shell.

Parochial;

Main Entry: pa·ro·chi·al
Pronunciation: \pə-ˈrō-kē-əl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English parochiall, from Anglo-French parochial, from Late Latin parochialis, from parochia parish — more at parish
Date: 14th century

1 : of or relating to a church parish
2 : of or relating to a parish as a unit of local government
3 : confined or restricted as if within the borders of a parish : limited in range or scope (as to a narrow area or region) :

I would loosly define the last term as applying. American parchialism.

I got something waiting for me at the post office from Barracuda Kid right now ,going to pick it up tomorrow 9 days from the east coast of the US to the an island off the west coast of Canada cost next to nothing USPS ,done it dozens of times now never had a package go missing , when I lived in Michigan stuff took that long to go half as far within the US and I had to track and file claims regarding lost items many times over the years ,I have a better word for it than Parochial , my word means to act in a manner contrary to and in spite of the facts but people misunderstand my word as meaning rude -any guess's ?

I find many Ebay sellers who say USA only will ship to Canada if you ask them. Their biggest concern is the extra shipping costs.

I've been burned by shipments to Canada by FedEx where I was back-charged the import taxes that are the buyer responsibility to pay, but refused. It cost me $70 for two small shipments. I can ship there with the USPS, but it isn't cheap, and the Canadians I've dealt with have always complained about the shipping costs. I list my auctions with no shipping outside the US for that reason. If someone emails me and asks, I may agree to ship to Canada, but they need to agree to the shipping costs up front. I will not ship without insurance and without proof of delivery. If they won't pay for that, I won't ship it. Basically, it's a hassle to ship to Canada, and I'm not gonna eat the cost of shipping parts there, and I don't need someone winning my auctions and then fighting with me over the shipping cost.

Don't even get me started on them always wanting me to declare it a "gift".

If everyone on both sides is reasonable I think it works great. The seller is willing to do a bit more leg work, and the buyer is willing to pay the increased costs for insurance and delivery confirmation it works great.

If the seller isn't motivated, or the buyer is too cheap then things don't work too well.

I sent mine without confirmation due to costs. If he is unethical, then I am basically screwed. Don't think that will happen, but I am a bit leary just thinking about what it could be.

I don't think I would do that again. Smaller, cheaper items are fine. This was a big box of gears.

It will work out.

ROB

I have had people not want to ship to Canada either. What I ended up doing is using a freight forwarder company in Champlain New York which is 1/2 mile over the border and is approximately 45 minutes from Montreal. I have items shipped there and go and pick them up. I time the shipments and purchased so I can pick up a load at a time. They charge a small fee per box received. Just have things shippoed with insurance and tracking number and you are all set. I have done this for years without any issues except with Summit and Jegs for shipping certain items like shocks and oils. They cannot sell to Canadian credit card holders for hazardous material shipments for some reason.

How many Canadians use UPS? I seem to remember people not liking UPS for some reason.

USPS is fine, but to get the insurance it was almost twice the cost because the shipment went from 6-10 days to 2-3 and was shipped faster. It would have been about $160 to ship a $150 worth of parts.....

I think for smaller items or lighter items it is not a problem. I don't know how you would deal with big stuff.

How many Canadians use UPS? I seem to remember people not liking UPS for some reason.

USPS is fine, but to get the insurance it was almost twice the cost because the shipment went from 6-10 days to 2-3 and was shipped faster. It would have been about $160 to ship a $150 worth of parts.....

I think for smaller items or lighter items it is not a problem. I don't know how you would deal with big stuff.

Lots of vendors won't ship USPS but some Ebayers will if pressed. USPS is cheaper on this end because the mountain of UPS brokerage and handling fees are avoided. I have heard complaints of USPS shipments never arriving but haven't experienced that problem myself.

I've been burned by shipments to Canada by FedEx where I was back-charged the import taxes that are the buyer responsibility to pay, but refused. It cost me $70 for two small shipments. I can ship there with the USPS, but it isn't cheap, and the Canadians I've dealt with have always complained about the shipping costs. I list my auctions with no shipping outside the US for that reason. If someone emails me and asks, I may agree to ship to Canada, but they need to agree to the shipping costs up front. I will not ship without insurance and without proof of delivery. If they won't pay for that, I won't ship it. Basically, it's a hassle to ship to Canada, and I'm not gonna eat the cost of shipping parts there, and I don't need someone winning my auctions and then fighting with me over the shipping cost.

Don't even get me started on them always wanting me to declare it a "gift".

Amen.

i have shipped to canada no big deal
i just shipped something to brazil part was $20.00 cost to ship $45.00 wow

going back to the 1st post on the thread ...if the buyer agrees to pay all fees in full & the seller doesnt comply for whatever reason that just opens a whole realm of speculation you could go anywhere with that would drive anyone nuts trying to figure it out. its not just a us/canadian thing , its a worldwide stupidity epidemic that only God Himself could cure . im in oklahoma and about 6mths ago a guy about 1.5 hrs north of me advertised a really clean 73 duster(it was really a 72 & i couldnt convince him otherwise) he put on craigslist wanting to trade for a daily driver for his 18 year old son , however he would only trade & i mean only for a 1976 - 1978 dodge powerwagon 4x4 , me seeing daily driver thought he might be interested in a 89 accord , 60k original miles , fuel injected , loaded etc , good commuter car for a kid . anyhow the guy goes into a rant about how he'd beat the snot out of his kid & disown him if he ever even thought about owning an import & about its guys like me that have ruined this nation buy buying imports & killed our economy. needless to say it left me in a state of awe . anyways with all that being said , you cant fix stupid .

I really dont understand why some americans have sooo much trouble shipping to Canada .I have shipped MANY items to the states from Canada,zero problems. ONE extra piece of paper to fill out.THATS IT! I have even shipped to Spain,same deal

But I always use Canadapost,NEVER UPS. UPS is a rippoff.

I have purchased many things from guys in the States, all without any issues. If it's from a regular vendor or through EBay, I always ask what it will cost to ship to my address, BEFORE I bid on it. I have never had anyone tell me they couldn't/wouldn't ship to me or get a price for shipping here. I have had to pay duty on some things coming across the border, but that is something that I deal with, not the vendor. I prefer to use USPS over UPS and FedEx due to the fact that they charge a 'Brokers' fee, like being a middle man. It is such a ripoff. I have also had some problems with actually receiving things through them. With USPS/Canada Post I have never had any issues. It is actually humourous at how quickly that I have received some things from the States this way. We complain about our Post Office, but the two of them actually seem to have their collective poop together when delivering parcels across the border. Only my opinion. Tomorrow I may have issues too, but right now things have been fine.

-
Back