Shipping US to Canada by USPS

-

YellowDart69

Reaction score
I am purchasing a new top, that Topsonline will ship to me in Toronto, via USPS, for $40.00 more than to Niagara Falls USA. Are there any surprise costs ? I know not to deal with UPS for cross border shipments. Thanks.

Crossing the border drive up the cost. The additional amount doesn't sound too out of bounds from getting it to the Buffalo/Niagara area

PST, GST, or HST + the $$$ exchange....it really adds up. If you can ship to US border town and go get it.

PST, GST, or HST + the $$$ exchange....it really adds up. If you can ship to US border town and go get it.
I agree. Not sure if a Customs broker would be involved with a delivery like that also, if so more $$$.

I have made countless parts runs back into Canada from my US mail box and I know that Canada Customs doesn't seem to give a rip about parts for old cars. Must be NAFTA or something.

If you buy parts and bring them across into Canada, make sure the invoicing/customs papers say "Classic car parts" preferably with the year make and model.

I am purchasing a new top, that Topsonline will ship to me in Toronto, via USPS, for $40.00 more than to Niagara Falls USA. Are there any surprise costs ? I know not to deal with UPS for cross border shipments. Thanks.
I'm Canadian but live in Michigan. I come back to the Georgetown area about once a month. You can have it shipped to my place if that helps and I will bring it back for you.

I shipped a wiper motor to Jules (R.I.P) about 10 years ago to get it restored. I think I remember him telling me several times to mark it as used classic car parts.

I'm Canadian but live in Michigan. I come back to the Georgetown area about once a month. You can have it shipped to my place if that helps and I will bring it back for you.
Take cwatts offer. I get parts sent to my shop lots, from the US. then at the end of the month I get my statement from the buying group, and its still a shock every time DUTY and BROKERAGE . For what? It's best if there is a drop of point just over the border and then go for a drive. We do this for stuff that there's no hurry for, and no extra mystery fees charges and cost involved.

When you cross the border you still have to pay HST on the value, but you save the brokerage fees. Used auto parts and parts for old cars are duty exempt. Canada Customs does not like when you cant prove the value of the piece that you are bringing back into the Country. I always use USPS when possible, I've never had a problem using them

I appreciate the offer, but I'll probably ship it to a post office in the Niagara Falls area. Can anyone recommend one?

-
Back