Shipping

-
Lazy?

Not always.

Packing, travel to a shipper, travel back home, getting quotes, etc. eats up time and fuel too.

What is time worth?

Only the person can determine that for themselves.

Ok, I'v got nothing to do at the moment, so i will answer.
I sell parts on all these alphabet soup letter car forums, so it's not any issue for me.
But here goes my 2 cents worth.
Do you know how time consuming it is to properly package up parts for mailing?
Then somebody might even have to go searching for boxes to package up the parts in.
More time.
Then if your a working man, you have to find the time to go to the post office, UPS, FEDEX, terminals, stores, if you have them in your city.
More time.
For some folks, it's just not worth the time, and effort, to try and sell parts.
A working man, probably married with kids, other things to occupy one's time, lot's of things.
Lot's of cases, just not worth the time and effort.
Then you have to deal with people at the other end of the internet keyboard, and again to some, not worth it.
Well, you got this answer, from me, anyway.
My 02 cents worth, on the topic.

If it's that big of a headache to ship, why even bother to put up for sale ads here?

I'll ship worldwide. You only need to pack it and weigh it once to get an online quote. Then remember the dimensions and weight and use online USPS or Canada Post.

I don't think it's a matter of a seller being lazy, but some may get tired of getting quotes only for the interested buyer not to want to pay shipping fees. I have several boxes with 2 and 3 different zips on for quotes for that very reason. And shipping to Canada is very expensive as you know.

I don't think it's any members problem in listing a part for sale in these for sale sections, and not having the desire in shipping it.
Probably looking for a buyer in his city, locally, or withing driving distance to his residence.
I have sold lots of parts locally to me here in Sacramento, or withing driving distance to get here.
And that's by advertising them here on these forums, that get world wide exposure, on the internet.

I have not advertised on this site yet but I do sell on other websites. I am willing to ship anywhere, but I have also had some people asking me to deliver an item several hundred miles away, when I was only asking about $150 to $200. Not even enough to cover the gas. I used to be able to ship within Alberta to any town that had a terminal for free through my employer, but that has been discontinued as of September 1st. Even then I had buyers who balked at having to pick up the parts.

I have 10 boxes packed and ready to ship that buyers have agreed to price, shipping and insurance and the PayPal fee. I even have their complete name and address. They have my pay pal. Then nothing. I ship world wide. I have USA addy to ship parts too. Kim

I quit selling and shipping when I got fired from my job
They has a UPS account with daily pickup

It made it easy to ship, and I got the discounted price which I passed on to the buyer

I'll ship worldwide. You only need to pack it and weigh it once to get an online quote. Then remember the dimensions and weight and use online USPS or Canada Post.

I have heard more then one member state gross inconsistencies between what the website quotes, and what the final price actually was (and I dont think this was limited to one specific carrier)
Of course the online qoute is always lower, and it doesn't have to happen more then once or twice to really screw up your profit

And let's be honest, a lot of what is sold on here isn't making a ton of profit anyway

I have 10 boxes packed and ready to ship that buyers have agreed to price, shipping and insurance and the PayPal fee. I even have their complete name and address. They have my pay pal. Then nothing. I ship world wide. I have USA addy to ship parts too. Kim
May i politely ask you why you take your time in packaging something up for sale, before you even get paid for the items?
To me, that sounds rather counter productive.

Mostly because I believe and trust ppl. When they say they want it I trust that they will buy it. I packaged them up to get the quote from post office for shipping and insurance. These are packaged for the guys that just have to have them. I tell them a rough guess first and that guess is usually a little high. I tell them that I’ll only charge them what I get charged. They agree exchange info. Then nothing. Or gee can u discount it some cause shipping is lots. This is after they have already agreed. I know everyone can’t ship right away. I’m usually not in a hurry anyways. I admit that I don’t get to the post office pronto either. But I relay that message. Kim

Not to tell you how to personally do your business selling things, but why not just go with the higher estimate by using your Canada Post web site, for the postal rates, and then be done with it.
Your gonna be damm close, and won't be breaking the buyers piggy bank, or bank account.
Sounds like you have done enough selling in your career to have a good ball park figure on the weight of the part(s) that are in the box.
Go by your gut feeling, and past experience.

Your posting has morphed from, asking why won't sellers ship, to your having problems with buyers, paying you.

Last edited:
I call them dead beat tire kickers. I too have boxes ready to ship only to never hear from them again. I guess it’s just part of life.

U asked the question so I replied. Kim

No, you brought that on yourself in post #9

COST ! Most people don t want to pay shipping cost !

I get that A LOT, these days, when i have to quote shipping cost, to East coast states, from California, for the rebuilt suspension, and brake parts, that i advertise on these web sites.

I find that if you can include shipping in your price it helps a lot. No waiting for a quote, getting distracted by other things, etc. Here's the price shipped. Agreed. Pay. Ship.

Why are some members too lazy to ship? Thanks. Kim

Some items are too big or fragile or both to ship properly...

How would you package a complete axle??? Body part??? Engine block, transmission etc....

How about a front windshield or back glass??? Try to package those to survive the beating that they will get in shipping and not get broken...

For those kinds of items, it's best for the buyer to pick up....

I have shipped fenders, trunk lids, even doors and door glass in the past. Shipping costs have gone up so much that it is hard to justify the cost and the risk of damage, especially with some parts getting harder to find in good shape.

How does one do that when the shipping destination is unknown when the item is listed for sale?
Depends on your shipper
A flat rate box is the same going from MI to IL as it would be to FL

I've seen it on here several times
"For sale, small block distributor, 55 shipped lower 48, 65 shipped to Hawaii or Alaska, foreign buyers please contact"

How does one do that when the shipping destination is unknown when the item is listed for sale?
It works if you know the product will fit in a USPS flat rate box, at $8.30, $15.05, $21.10.
Other than that it's a crap shoot, on knowing where in the country the package will be going too, unless you just want to flat rate the cost, not knowing if it's going 300 miles, or 3,000 miles across the country.

Its a PITA when your hpmebound, don't have boxes. US mail sucks...parts are too big or heavy. Ship a hood or bench seat? Itll take 2 hours to pack it and then run it to the depot? Local pick up only. some peoples time is more valuable than a $30 profit on a part. Then you got insurance, tracking, responsibility of damage claim, etc. It is what it is.

-
Back