shocking

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Anyone run race shocks on the street? do 90/10s bottom out on everything like no shock at all. I want to run 90/10s in front and 50/50 in the rear .Lets hear your do,s and dont,s and advice.catchy title huh.

I have them on my dart.Bottoms out and drives like crap.Big block car,probably most of the problem.I dont think there worth it on the street
change them out when you race.

I have a 73 Scamp with six cylinder torsion bars and Competition Enginering 90/10's in front, with Super Stock springs with 50/50's in the rear. I don't drive the car much but, if you don't do road course type driving it's OK. Since it will handle poorly; only good to go in straight line. I will mention though that the car is a bear to drive, and very rough riding. You have to decide for yourself if your willing to give up comfort and handling.

I tried them on my Charger years ago and would never use them on the street again. Great for the strip but on a dual purpose you would be better of with a set of old monroe matics or other non-gas charged shocks. or like 340sixpac says just change them out at the track.

You guys have just shown me something I need to ask. Is there a difference in torsion bars? 6 and 8 different? I am in the middle of a swap as we speak. Should I swap the torsion bars too?

For 20 years or more I've used 1980's Corvette front shocks on the front of my Darts. Either the ones with or without the outer tubes.
You just pull out the "bar" in the lower eye, replace it with the bushing from your old shock, and it's a bolt-in. The tight valving is excellent for handling
and is a good improvement if you feel your stock torsion bars are too weak.
Not a replacement for weak bars, but still very helpful to cornering.

On the rears I use some kinda ford pickup truck shocks, for the same reason.

This would NOT be the choice for drag use, but I love it for daily driving.

I just got a set of double ajustable shocks from Strang Enginering. I have not put them on yet but they should be nice. I was planning on haveing two settings one for the street and one for the track.

I ran them on the street on my 69 Super Bee. When you go over a pothole they will drop into the hole fast. The 90% will be when it's trying to be compressed. So when you hit the far side of the pothole it will be really harsh. They suck for cornering too.

BUT....if you're only planning on very limited street use then it really doesn't matter. Just don't drive like a jackass:-D

You guys have just shown me something I need to ask. Is there a difference in torsion bars? 6 and 8 different? I am in the middle of a swap as we speak. Should I swap the torsion bars too?

The /6 T-bars are thinner than the V-8 bars. There better for drag racing. Better weight transfer. The thicker the bar, the stiffer the ride.

I had the comp 90/10's and the 50/50's on my Dart and it did "OK". I drove it to work sometimes on the Freeway and cruised around just for fun. I never put it hard into a corner though, traction was bad enough with street tires going straight.8)

Not only would I do it again, I have a set on my bench for my Duster right now. Just watch for places where the front end would want to come up quickly. (RR tracks etc.)

-
Back