shocks

-

75ddart

Reaction score
Looking for some recommendations on rear shocks for a dart sport. I replaced the worn out stock springs with replacements but still sags some. I reused the air shocks that were on the car, but want to remove them and go with something that will give me a little more ride height and can be used at the track some, with limited time, also may do some street driving at times. If I had known my plans would've changed months ago I would've went with either super stocks or a heavy duty type. Thoughts ?:supz:

Shocks are not designed to raise your car. They improve in the handling. But there are aftermarket shocks (air shocks, coil over shocks) that will make it ride higher. But then you are putting undue strain and stress on the shock mounts. Also your ride quality will dramatically plummet. I wouldn't do it. There are some who put longer shackles on their leaf springs. I wouldn't do that either. Can you add a leaf?

Thanks for the reply. I checked around locally for an add a leaf kit but found nothing. May check into some overload type shocks that have a coil spring around them. I had a roadrunner a few years ago that had these type of shocks on it. Rode nice and helped with the low rear look. Car currently has air shocks on it now and I would like to remove them. I ran air shocks back in my high school days and several years after that on a dart and have never broken a shock mount or ever seen one broke. I have read on here and other sites of this happening but never experienced this my self. May go with some type of stocker's or something in that general way. Would like to get some track time this year and don't believe the air shocks will allow the rear to work. I should have decent weight transfer though, LOL!

Thanks for the reply. I checked around locally for an add a leaf kit but found nothing. May check into some overload type shocks that have a coil spring around them. I had a roadrunner a few years ago that had these type of shocks on it. Rode nice and helped with the low rear look. Car currently has air shocks on it now and I would like to remove them. I ran air shocks back in my high school days and several years after that on a dart and have never broken a shock mount or ever seen one broke. I have read on here and other sites of this happening but never experienced this my self. May go with some type of stocker's or something in that general way. Would like to get some track time this year and don't believe the air shocks will allow the rear to work. I should have decent weight transfer though, LOL!
Take the springs to your nearest spring shop and have them add a leaf or re-arch them or buy the proper spring for your app.JMO

Take the springs to your nearest spring shop and have them add a leaf or re-arch them or buy the proper spring for your app.JMO
Tried that where I bought them. Only suggestion they said was re arching them or replacing them. I guess so they can sell me another set. Sticker on springs say made in Mexico so I guess that explains it. Stock replacements and been on the car 2 years and already sagging. They have no listings for add a leafs and I really don't want to remove them to have them put a ply in, so I guess I'll just live with it for now. I lost all options that don't require removal.

Tried that where I bought them. Only suggestion they said was re arching them or replacing them. I guess so they can sell me another set. Sticker on springs say made in Mexico so I guess that explains it. Stock replacements and been on the car 2 years and already sagging. They have no listings for add a leafs and I really don't want to remove them to have them put a ply in, so I guess I'll just live with it for now. I lost all options that don't require removal.

Not a good reputable shop if they can't add a leaf and re-arch them. Call around other shops.

Not a good reputable shop if they can't add a leaf and re-arch them. Call around other shops.

Good shop, but they mainly specialize in big trucks, not much around my area unless your a GM or Ford guy.

Update, Checked advance auto for the availability of an overload shock. Monroe makes one, so I ordered a set today. Will be a few days so hopefully it will give me a little lift and better ride so I can take these air shocks off. Just wanted to say they are available.

I added an extra leaf to mine and it still rides just fine. Of course if the main leaf is weak or bent this won't fix it. Re-arching may be your best bet.

fwiw what I've picked up is that the car rest on the leaf springs so the springs will set the ride height. The shocks are there as a damper so you don't bounce on the spring.

I had a set on a roadrunner years ago and it picked up the rear a little and the ride was good. I did put new springs on it about 2 years ago, but it still has a sag. Should've went with the 1 inch over stock instead. I didn't want to remove them to have them re arched or replace them. If these shocks help a little, great if not no biggie, but I'm sure it will ride better than the air shocks that are currently on it. Also want something that will allow the rear suspension to work a little better when I get it to the track for some fun.

You can't increase ride height with shocks unless that they are air shocks. Your leaf springs determine your ride height in the rear.

Once you get your springs to the right ride height, I like the Monroe Matic gas shocks available at Just Suspension for just under $100 for all four.

-
Back