Shop/Garage Heater suggestions please

-
I use a pellet stove in my shop 28 by 40, 12 foot side walls. works good so far, today is -10 and it dose fine on # 1 setting keeps it at 55*. yea I know it sounds to cold for most of you but it feels real good to me. living up here in the cold weather you get use to it and when it warms up to 30* above you can go out side in a tee shirt and shorts and stay outside all day. if you don't believe me ask my friends up there in Canada.

I have an 80k btu Ng radiant tube heater plus a pellet stove. The Ng is far superior to the pellet stove but my buddy used my shop and ran up a $900 gas bill so I use the pellet burner.

I use a pellet stove in my shop 28 by 40, 12 foot side walls. works good so far, today is -10 and it dose fine on # 1 setting keeps it at 55*. yea I know it sounds to cold for most of you but it feels real good to me. living up here in the cold weather you get use to it and when it warms up to 30* above you can go out side in a tee shirt and shorts and stay outside all day. if you don't believe me ask my friends up there in Canada.

Actually,someone wanted to use the shop, brought me 5 bags of pellets. Was great. Let him use hoist for a couple hours and i get a few days free heat.

Actually,someone wanted to use the shop, brought me 5 bags of pellets. Was great. Let him use hoist for a couple hours and i get a few days free heat.
what's the price for pellets up there. It's about $5 a bag here

When I'm under the car, I work on a sheet of styrofoam,They come in R5 and R7 per inch. I find a product called SM-Blue at 1.5 inches very comfortable even at down to 55*F. They come in 4x8 sheets. They are fairly robust too in this HiDensity material. I drag a partial sheet around, almost everywhere I go. Years ago I built a modest wood frame , about 8ft hi in a rectangle around the car, and draped a large sheet of plastic over it.Then a portable Kerosene camp-type stove under it. That was very cozy. The tools however were always cold,lol.

Pellets 6.59 per bag.
Were 5.69 last year.
I tried bulk pellets locally made,170 per tonne (2400 lbs) but not happy with them. Would rather pay the money for better pellets. Even at equivalent 2.83 per 40 lbs i prefer the heat output and 1/4 the ashes from store bought.

Morden Manitoba has a place that collects kiln-dried oak offcuts from local cabinet shops, and flails then to bits. Then they run them thru an extrusion machine that compresses them into what they call fuel pucks. They come in either 2" or 3" diameter, your choice. The pucks run between 2 and 4 inches long.The smaller ones are slightly easier to transfer into my basement, but the larger ones I can scoop more product into a shovel.
Last year I burned 12,000 pounds in my basement hot-water boiler, which then gets distributed to radiators in the living areas. The bottom of my boiler, where the ash collects, is now full, and when I dig it out, it will not fill a 30gallon garbage can. It kept us roasty-toasty,last year, in a 1905 2000ftsq,wood siding house (gutted and insulated to R 19 walls), and also heated my approximately 400 sq.ft shop.
The pucks are sold by the ton, and come in bags of 950 to 1400 pounds. The cost with 13% tax added was $198 per ton last year, plus delivery . This year they upped the price to $452 all taxes in, plus delivery.. Guess what I told them; hyup no thanks, electricity is cheaper and I have no delivery costs, and even less ashes,lol.
That's too bad, it was a great product.
Sorry, my recently built small shop has a water heated floor. It's fabulous.The warm floor makes it possible to be able to work in there,down to about 55*F with just a light jacket on. After that my fingers get a lil fat. 60*F is better.

My neighbor added hot-water floor heat to his shop, by pouring a new floor over the old. He uses a small residential hot-water heater and a pump. The buy-in was a bit pricey tho.

Last edited:
Morden Manitoba has a place that collects kiln-dried oak offcuts from local cabinet shops, and flails then to bits. Then they run them thru an extrusion machine that compresses them into what they call fuel pucks. They come in either 2" or 3" diameter, your choice. The pucks run between 2 and 4 inches long.The smaller ones are slightly easier to transfer into my basement, but the larger ones I can scoop more product into a shovel.
Last year I burned 12,000 pounds in my basement hot-water boiler, which then gets distributed to radiators in the living areas. The bottom of my boiler, where the ash collects, is now full, and when I dig it out, it will not fill a 30gallon garbage can. It kept us roasty-toasty,last year, in a 1905 2000ftsq,wood siding house (gutted and insulated to R 19 walls), and also heated my approximately 400 sq.ft shop.
The pucks are sold by the ton, and come in bags of 950 to 1400 pounds. The cost with 13% tax added was $198 per ton last year, plus delivery . This year they upped the price to $452 all taxes in, plus delivery.. Guess what I told them; hyup no thanks, electricity is cheaper and I have no delivery costs, and even less ashes,lol.
That's too bad, it was a great product.
Sorry, my recently built small shop has a water heated floor. It's fabulous.The warm floor makes it possible to be able to work in there,down to about 55*F with just a light jacket on. After that my fingers get a lil fat. 60*F is better.

My neighbor added hot-water floor heat to his shop, by pouring a new floor over the old. He uses a small residential hot-water heater and a pump. The buy-in was a bit pricey tho.

nothing is cheep anymore I use to use fire wood. when I lived in washington in the forest,lots of wood but it was hard to get. If you didn't have a permit you would get a ticket. here in North Dakota there is plenty of fire wood and easy to get but my insurance won't cover me if I use a wood stove. My oldest boy lives in Alaska and he laughs at me and tells me I need to move up there it's warmer and no one gives a **** how you heat your house or shop.

-
Back