Shop layout recommendations?

-
I saw a 2x4x6 on the side of the road the other day and couldn't stop the car fast enough to get out and get it.

You'd have thought it was a gold bar.

LOVE that go kart.

Bonus points for Black Betty.

I've got a movement going to get "bam-ba-lam" into common use as an expletive meaning "sure as ____".

Building a new shop?

Bam-ba-lam I am!

Years back I couldn't afford the lumber for my shop. 32x48. I started looking and found pool decks that people wanted removed. I gathered up many 12 foot 2x6's and my whole shop it pressure treated lumber. I got infested with carpenter ants from a dart sport I brought home, all they ate was the plywood and header. Used lumber is just as good as new. Just a little more labor. I wish I would have made it bigger. Like double the size.

spoiler pics 675.jpg

spoiler pics 676.jpg

spoiler pics 677.jpg

Selling me that Red dart would give you some more room. I would Blam-ba-lam that thing right out of your way. My wife hates me for selling hers . Looks like you have both of them.

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

Last edited:
My only suggestion is to make sure your lift is positioned directly in line with your big door. That way you can drive straight onto it. No fuss

Does anyone have 10ft walls/ceiling height with a lift in it to see how tight it is.or if.even possible?

My neighbor does the top of the lift is above the ceiling rafters. . OK for small cars but anything with a tall roof your using an Office chair under the car

Remember the sky is the limit on a permit. When they told me that I went higher. and put a man cave upstairs. Keep the lift off the wall so you can open the doors of the car. That is the most important. Wouldn't want to pull it on the lift and be stuck inside. I also uae the lift to work under the dash now that I am an old man. Easier to lean in the car then to lay on the floor.

The upstairs is used often. and my son is staying up there until his house is done. We put a two tier deck on the back to access the upstairs easy. Planning the future of the building is the most important. You will make changes. Lumber will come down as soon as they hang Biden and his cronies.

The upstairs

IMG_20130113_023759.jpg

asset%284%29.jpg

Picture 014.jpg

I raise my build with concrete walls. 12 foot lumber 3 " top and bottom plates and a 18" wall gave me 14 foot ceiling hieght. Most lifts require 13 ft 10 ins. You can use block to raise it.

I'm not a good one to ask. My shop is 24 x 28 and I hate it. I have stuff everywhere with no real rhyme or reason. I'm just not a good organizer. I wish I was.

One thing I have in my concrete that not many people seem to do.

I laid a 6 inch pipe vertical as a floor anchor. Then stuck and old torsion bar thru the pipe to be sunk in the concrete. (Photo won't upload) Now I can wrap a chain around the bar to anchor. Also made a steel lid for the holes. Kids used them as crocket (golf) holes for awhile.

If not built yet. Get that shop UP 3 feet from your base so water drains out, not in.

^^^ i had them in my.old shop for derby cars. Great for pulling frames back down into place when bent to.the moon

Does anyone have 10ft walls/ceiling height with a lift in it to see how tight it is.or if.even possible?
This one will be 10’ at the back end and about 13’ at the front end. I’ll probably be installing an Atlas BP8000 lift which only requires a 9’3” ceiling to get the posts set up.

I'm not a good one to ask. My shop is 24 x 28 and I hate it. I have stuff everywhere with no real rhyme or reason. I'm just not a good organizer. I wish I was.

At least you have a shop.

Pack it full of your goodies, you will find things when you need them.

I use 1/2" by 5-6 inch "Red Head" anchors to winch cars into my shop bays.

Cheap, easy to install, and effective.

At least you have a shop.

Pack it full of your goodies, you will find things when you need them.
Oh absolutely. I am blessed far more than I deserve. Didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. Far from it. I just SUCK at organizing. lol

Great suggestions already. A few ideas of mine and to reiterate others are—
1. Build as large as makes $ sense. No matter how
big you will fill it.
2. Nothing narrower than a 10’ wide door and 3’ wide
walk in door.
3. Possibly overhead radiant gas heat.
4. Insulate well, 6” minimum.
5. Neo angle shower (was surprised how much I use
mine).
6. My 40 gallon water in bathroom keeps it above
freezing if door is kept shut in winter.
7. A shop sink (keeps bath one much cleaner and is
very accessible for many uses.
8. Plenty of electrical outlets with one each side of
door on outside. Electrical panel box with several
empty slots for breakers in case you need to add
circuits and GOOD lighting.
9. Keep it square or rectangular .(also makes it easier
To lengthen later.
10. Ventilation exhaust fan, also overhead fan to
move air and distribute heat.
11. A minimum 1’ concrete stem wall for outer walls
protects inside walls from damage and outside of
building from dirt buildup etc.
Yote

Another item that I am pleased with on my garage-shop build is I put a small concrete pad along the back side.
I keep a couple of saw horses to use as a table base out there and if I am going to do a lot of metal cutting, grinding, working with smelly solvents,,, anything that will really make a mess I just set up and do it outside.
On that same pad I have two inexpensive outdoor buildings from Lowes. The taller one is where the air compressor is. I had the garage builder put a electric outlet up high on the outside wall to provide power to the compressor and I had him set in a 1.5 diameter pvc pipe to use a passage ways through the wall for the compressor line.
I put the blast cabinet on wheels and store it and other blast supplies in the same shed. When I use the blast cabinet I just wheel it out and blast outside. Keeps the dust and grit out of the main garage.
The smaller shed is also storage for parts.

8B4B8367-9A15-4CFF-BADA-18CBA8526982.jpeg

D5AF7A16-53F2-4CA3-B46A-23E0E035D933.jpeg

This one will be 10’ at the back end and about 13’ at the front end. I’ll probably be installing an Atlas BP8000 lift which only requires a 9’3” ceiling to get the posts set up.
Does the car on the lift go higher then the posts????.. You may have to buy a Lambo to park under the one on top. Measure the height of both cars to be stored and add the thickness of the lift cross beams.

here are my pics. 1728 sq feet with 85% bs in it now. i have a son who is a pack rat. we used to build drag cars in this garage and had approx 70 people in it along with a guy deep frying turkeys, for racers christmas party. it even had a toilet, sink and shower. we could park 7 cars in it. now it is full of chit. but not for long. DON'T LET YOURS END UP LIKE THIS PLEASE.
20220331_152010.jpg
20220331_152000.jpg
20220331_152006.jpg
20220331_152013.jpg

Does the car on the lift go higher then the posts????.. You may have to buy a Lambo to park under the one on top. Measure the height of both cars to be stored and add the thickness of the lift cross beams.
Yeah it does. But I just looked up the specs on it and it lifts up to 6’2” with all the adapters. I’m 6’4” so once the concrete is poured and the rafters are up, I’ll have to measure and see if I can’t get the 9000 model instead. That one lifts up to 6’8”

Yeah it does. But I just looked up the specs on it and it lifts up to 6’2” with all the adapters. I’m 6’4” so once the concrete is poured and the rafters are up, I’ll have to measure and see if I can’t get the 9000 model instead. That one lifts up to 6’8”
Keep in mind the bottom of the vehicle will be much higher than that 6'-2".

-
Back