shop lift liability?

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
So, I've mentioned before that I'm having a new shop built this fall. And have been planning on putting in an 11k 2 post lift, well I spoke with this guy the other day having a yard/shop sale as he was moving. He had installed a 9k rotary lift, and as I was checking out the tools he had for sale I asked him "how much for the lift" he said it was already sold and the guy just hadn't picked it up. He then said he has to sell it before selling the house as it was considered a liability to include in the sale of the home to any new buyers. He said that was what he was told by the realtors. Anyone heard of this before? I'm not planning on selling my home anytime soon, and if I did would probably buy another place with a shop and take it with me. I would think it would add value not liability.

I believe it. Post lift fails and squashes the new buyer and whomever underwrote the loan would be on the hook. You CAN take it with you!

Yeah, I guess I can see that. Not everyone should use a lift just because they can if they haven't had experienced or training.

Im going thru something similar now with insurance. They are telling me that I need to have insurance above property owners normal if I put anyones car but my own in the air. I currently sell and install tires part time in the evening. To cover the building and the liability for shop with lift is going to cost my around $900 a year. Really dont have much choice on whether I do the insurance or not because this brings in much more in profit but it pisses me off they always find a way to dig into our pockets. My wife works for an insurance company so she has forced me to do this the last 4 years. I always hear the story that if something should happen without the insurance someone could sue! I threaten every year to not get it and she says then sell the lifts and tire machines! I cant win! So yes I can believe a lift would be a liability.
Rod

Wow, I wonder if I should tell any buddies that want to use my lift that they are out of luck. Would I need to tell my home owners insurance about it? As I'm sure I need to tell them about the new shop if I want it to be covered from storm, fire or other unforeseen issues. I guess I should have thought about that in advance. Got all my permits and whatnot.

Lol, I hope not. As I'm planning on putting a couple ceiling fans in my shop. I guess once I get it the way I want it. I'll have to live here forever as it would be too much of a hassle to get it safe for any potential new homeowners. Might have to bubble wrap it all to keep it liability free. Haha.

If you do shop lift, you should be liable for what you stole...

Last edited:
Sounds like bs. So no ceiling fans in case the new owners decapitates themselves?
In CA, if you dont have a fence around your pool, your not going to close escrow unless you pull some major strings. Same deal, its a liability. If you sell a house with a post lift or something that is considered a liability, your buyers insurer/loaner will probably ding him somehow. Now CA is all F'd up with regulations designed to hold you back (The 'govern', in government) so your mileage may vary.

After I had lived in our home for several years and had our pastures fenced but not our front yard and orchard behind our home. I had changed home owners insurance companies and without my knowledge they came to our home and walked our property while we were gone. Then I get a letter in the mail, they said I had to put a net around our kids trampoline(which they hadn't used in a couple years), and to remove some ivy growing up a concrete wall or I'd get dropped.

After I had lived in our home for several years and had our pastures fenced but not our front yard and orchard behind our home. I had changed home owners insurance companies and without my knowledge they came to our home and walked our property while we were gone. Then I get a letter in the mail, they said I had to put a net around our kids trampoline(which they hadn't used in a couple years), and to remove some ivy growing up a concrete wall or I'd get dropped.

They do that now...

I had to take pictures of my sinks, water heater, and back garage when I changed my homeowner's insurance company...

I have heard that some farmers used to insure their decrepit barns, and then claim the insurance when they blew over...

I'm sure many homeowners have done something similar...

Wait until it's about to fall over, then insure it and get the insurance money...

That may be what causes them to check it out more before covering it...

Had a similar situation. New homeowners insurance company said I had to remove all untagged vehicles from my property. I have several. My county, does not require tags, only that the vehicles are "serviceable" (can start, run, and move under their own power). The homeowners ins does not, will not cover the vehicles, but they were telling me I had to get rid of them. I didn't, I got rid of that ins company.
PS: The new company I found was actually cheaper.

Check with your automobile insurance company,about vehicles damaged while being serviced.
This can balloon into quite a discussion.
Covered if a wheel falls off?
Covered if car falls and you sustain injury?
Covered if vehicle has a brake or front end failure and you didint see a failing component?
Covered while road testing vehicle?
Covered if vehicle is stolen or damaged while in your care?

I wont say im in a similar situation,but flying under the radar will only last so long.

The day I got the keys to my home our then insurance company stopped by to see the house they would be insuring. I literally had owned the home for all of 3 hours. Was in the process of moving in as the home had been a bank repo and has been unoccupied for the last year. Anyways the guy shows up and sees our rottweiler laying out in the yard and he asks me if it is my dog. I said yes, 8s that a problem. He said, "no not for me". 2 days later I get a letter saying that either the dog goes or my coverage goes. I found a new company, as I had our dog for 10+ years at that point. They said rottweilers, pit bulls, German Shepherd, doberman, and a few other breeds were not covered under their policies. Turns out neither was livestock related claims. So I found out to cover my self, if say my cow jumped the fence and got hit by a car to cover any loss or damage for me or a motorist I has to either have a rider policy or be a paid member of the farm bureau. Then once I got a letter saying that my bushes in front of my house were too big and blocked right if way view. Lol. I had only owned the home 2 weeks at thay point. The stuff they try and force down your throat to keep a policy either current or affordable.

I had to jump through hoops to get my house insured because the pole building has a woodstove in it. None of the big names would carry us and yeah it's a few $$ more. It actually hung up the closing because every co. we called had to come and inspect. The wife wants to ins. shop again and I told her to leave it alone because I don't want them to see dis-assembled projects and start thinking commercial or business. I could see them looking at the lift as a liability.

I quit doing a lot for other people. Worked too many years in the body shop. Heard every excuse in the book blaming the tire/suspension guy or mechanic that worked on it last week. I've even had to go to court to testify on behalf of the Co. You're taking a big risk. It turns into you're word against theirs and difficult for the business to win. It only takes one to file a frivolous lawsuit to turn your life upside down. At least work under a mobile Mech license and get some garage owners liability. If you lose some else's car off the lift, best case scenario is you have the cash to buy them another one.

Last edited:
I understand all the hoops with home insurance etc.
Pools/fences woodstoves you name it. I still call BS and would call a real estate agent on it.
We have been looking for a house (with a shop) and have seen some with lifts/hoists listed for sale.
I have also seem houses where they are listed "where is/as is" basically buyer beware.

Insurance companies are a bunch of blood sucking parasites that exist because lawyers do. People just don't want to accept personal responsibility for their actions anymore. Actual money paid out for policies every year is a very definite measurable percentage of my cash flow. The worst part is you are betting against yourself, and when you win - you lose.
And then try to make a claim...............

-
Back