Shop power

-

Bigdummy

Not a Nova
Reaction score
All my life I've been trucking and don't know nothing about electrical stuff.Ive been waiting 3 years to get power in my shop.A few friends came over and we got it going.The cost of cable is astronomical(265 ft) so we wired it for a generator now I have power in the shop and if we loose electricity in the house I got that covered also.

LOL?? You mean you copped out buying the 265 ft and just use the generator? Maybe I missed something. Sounds like you did both!!

Ummm OK. You did put in a transfer switch... correct?

Ummm OK. You did put in a transfer switch... correct?

The way "to do these" if you can, is to use a mechanical interlock

cr1installed.jpg

What these do if you are unaware is you add a breaker "just like a welder/ dryer/ etc" and the interlock keeps the main and the gen breaker from being engaged simultaneously

The added breaker merely "backfeeds" the panel.

I have seen that. Always wondered about balancing the system.

I have seen that. Always wondered about balancing the system.

No different than when "shore powered." You must have a 220-240V genset, it feeds each side of the line. You will have to select what you turn on, IE turn off most breakers and only run what you need, and pay attention to the load.

..............I think I see...........you might have to estimate in advance what you will run and what circuits they are on...........you can easily swap breakers up or down one position to get them on the leg you want to balance things.

I can't imagine the power co. calling these things safe. Sure, we know how to operate the situation but what happens when somebody out of the loop pulls the cover of the panel and starts fliping switches.

Probably never happen and would only ruin the generator but you know how we like to fail safe.

All my life I've been trucking and don't know nothing about electrical stuff.Ive been waiting 3 years to get power in my shop.A few friends came over and we got it going.The cost of cable is astronomical(265 ft) so we wired it for a generator now I have power in the shop and if we loose electricity in the house I got that covered also.

bad *** shop uhh... bigdummy

Glad your getting your shop all fixed up!
Looks like a nice one.

Nice shop there !! When I built my building, the Power Co wanted 3900 to trench a new line from the street. Then I found out that I knew someone in their engineering department. I talked to him. 2 days later the Power Co calls me and tells me that they can Mole it underground, not trench it. Cost 1750 to get it done. And, now I have a separate metered 200amp service.

I can't imagine the power co. calling these things safe. Sure, we know how to operate the situation but what happens when somebody out of the loop pulls the cover of the panel and starts fliping switches.

Probably never happen and would only ruin the generator but you know how we like to fail safe.

Are you talking about the mechanical interlock? Of COURSE they are safe, if they are made as an approved unit

"pulls the cover and.........."

If the mechanical interlock is the correct device and properly installed (true of any safety device) then "nothing" will happen. The whole idea is that the main and the genset breakers can NOT be on at the same time........because they are interlocked.

No different than any other panel..........requires a little bit of something other than stupidity.

Is the $1950 just for the cost of the wire, or is that for the power company to install it? If just the wire, what size? 4/0 aluminum?

Will the generator power lights and 5hp air compressor at same time?

Yep.I just bought a 8250 watt with a 10,000 peak.So while I'm gone if the power goes out the wifey can roll it by the house and plug it in an push the start button and have heat or ac and tv...ect

Is the $1950 just for the cost of the wire, or is that for the power company to install it? If just the wire, what size? 4/0 aluminum?

Cost of the cable.The power company wants to set 3 poles and cable for more

Yep.I just bought a 8250 watt with a 10,000 peak.So while I'm gone if the power goes out the wifey can roll it by the house and plug it in an push the start button and have heat or ac and tv...ect

Good for you, shop power and house backup with one stroke! Just put in lots of fuel storage and rock on!:coffee2:

Went and got 25 gallons of gas ,cleaned up,got the tunes and tv going,and moved some stuff into the shop from the garage

-
Back