Shopping on Thanksgiving Rant

-

classicfan1

Reaction score
It seems like it gets worse and worse every year. Commercialization of everything. Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving are the worst. In the eyes for retailers Easter is just like Christmas, except all the toys come in baskets and Santa is replaced with an Easter Bunny. Anything actually having to do with Easter....oh say a Cross...there was a small section at a local big box store. Black Friday used to be a 5 AM deal, go and get a new Pioneer stereo for the husband, or a Transformers or a Furby for the kids. In the last few years or so Black Friday got pushed back to 4:00 AM, then 3:00 AM, a couple years ago it was midnight and it was only a matter of time. Now many stores are opening on Thanksgiving, before the turkey is even carved. Its worse this year. The CEO's, big wigs, and Wall Street investors are cozy at home WITH THEIR FAMILIES, if somebody can prove me otherwise, that they actually did any work in their office, I'll be shocked. Its greed pure greed. Corporations pulling store managers, the teenagers, college aged kids, and the elderly part-time workers that work the floor away from their families on a special day of the year to reflect back on all that one is to be thankful for. Again, I'm sure the higher ups are all at home enjoying the profits and sleeping well. For those that barely make ends meet it's longer hours, a heavier workload, and a measly extra $4-$6 an hour to be pulled away from loved ones. That ain't worth crap nowadays, a few gallons of gas MAYBE.

Those that go out shopping in spite all of this don't care about anyone but themselves. How many times every year do we hear about people getting KILLED in a doorway at some store because they tripped or got shoved down and the crowd TRAMPLED THEM. How many FIGHTS break out? Then there are those that go out and have the damn nerve to say, "They should be at home" when in fact the person out shopping saying that is one of the reasons the workers aren't at home.

Would you believe all of this chaos is over CHRISTMAS SHOPPING?! People KILLED and in FIGHTS for CHRISTMAS!

Some have argued that police officers, EMT's, and nurses, all work 24/7/365. Thats true. But those are life or death type jobs (for which they have my thanks and respect for all that they do). Those are essential and they knew they were going to work holidays when they took the job. I've never heard of anyone dying because they didn't make big profits or didn't get to buy that new TV or computer. There is a difference and hearing people compare these two jobs makes me SICK!

I won't buy a thing on Thanksgiving. Not even gas. I'll buy everything I need AHEAD of time like we USED TO DO in this country.

I'll end my little rant with a quote from a classic Christmas movie..."Keep the change ya filthy animal". :D

Yeah, it's bull crap. My ex and her mother used to go the Friday after EVERY SINGLE year and they would be gone from 5 AM till midnight. Stupidest thing I ever saw.

Agreed.

I rarely leave the property unless I am off to workk. I am finally living rural after 20 years in big cities and I have seen the ways of buying crap as a hobby. The mad rush to buy crap is totally f-n dumb. I subscribe to 0 portion of the "have to have" mentality.

People trampling each other to save a few bucks on something that will fail in 5 years makes zero sense.

As for the employment aspect and the "other way around", at least this idiotic stampede provides jobs to folks. When I was young, I woudl easily work any holiday just to make extra bucks.

The retailers are worried that the x-mas season is the shortest since thanksgiving is so late in november this year.

well i wouldn't think the powers to be would be opening the store if they didn't think people would show up and the store would make money. apparently people will shop. screw it, not my thing but if its theirs who am i to say its wrong? i've worked nights weekends and holidays since i was 18 years old. it is what it is. you do what you have to to pay the bills. maybe these workers can use the extra money from working thanksgiving? they don't like it they can quit and find another job. i'm sure some one else will work that job if they don't want it..

surprised we are even allowed to celebrate thanksgiving anymore. we are basically just celebrating the white man coming to this country like a freakin terrorist and taking it the hell over with no regard to who was here and pushing them around and killing them off until they conformed. what a nice thing to celebrate with a national holiday.. :)

we are basically just celebrating the white man coming to this country like a freakin terrorist and taking it the hell over with no regard to who was here and pushing them around and killing them off until they conformed. what a nice thing to celebrate with a national holiday.. :)

Well somebody had to come kick their asses and clean the country up. Might as well have been us.

It's getting absolutely rediculus. Close the damned stores, let the clerks have the holiday with their families. Geez!

Looking forward to the quality family time and giving thanks for all we have...health, friends, food on the table, roof over our heads...same reasons our forefathers did.

My wife worked for K Mart when they started opening on Thanksgiving, worked every one till she retired.

So I had to get dinner ready for the family.

I think they should go back to the old ways but it will never happen. There are so many at work that check their phones every few unites and talk about the Black Friday specials that start at 6pm turkey day, but just seen Kmart is opening at 6 am.

They had on the news last week that it is predicted that in 5 years shopping will be the tradition and all stores will be open.

Family means nothing anymore, Sundays were always spent with FAMILY, church then to one of the relatives or they came to our house for dinner. Holidays were for family, always at grandmas and later they came to our house. All stores were closed even on Sundays.

Not today, too many people want to,SHOP, if they are open they will come, so the stores open.

Yes I have been to the store on Black Friday, but don't want to get in the crowd to buy something I really don't need just because it is a GOOD DEAL, one most of the time you don't get what you want. They have limited supply of the super deals so they can get you in the store. To buy other CRAP.

Hope everyone has a good holiday, those that choose to go shopping gets what they want.

We will be going to daughters house for dinner, oh at 5 PM, because granddaughter is going to her boy friends so they can have their dinner at noon or 1, guess they plan on being at Walmart at 6 PM

well i wouldn't think the powers to be would be opening the store if they didn't think people would show up and the store would make money. apparently people will shop. screw it, not my thing but if its theirs who am i to say its wrong? i've worked nights weekends and holidays since i was 18 years old. it is what it is. you do what you have to to pay the bills. maybe these workers can use the extra money from working thanksgiving? they don't like it they can quit and find another job. i'm sure some one else will work that job if they don't want it..

surprised we are even allowed to celebrate thanksgiving anymore. we are basically just celebrating the white man coming to this country like a freakin terrorist and taking it the hell over with no regard to who was here and pushing them around and killing them off until they conformed. what a nice thing to celebrate with a national holiday.. :)
Well said and I agree, and I worked more of these so called Thanks Giving days then not as well..

clean it up? all we did was destroy and pollute everything.. lol
X2 Joe, I hope a big uprising is on it's way some day to clean it up as much of the country as we can one day :glasses7: heck, A man can dream :sad7:

We still do it the way we have for many years, well Treva and I do, we hang out with old folks and visit the new children all day and if I hear anything about shopping it will be from some of the ladies in our family (new gen folks) and they can have all of it they want :coffee2: not me.

I had some stupid thought about going at midnight to buy some .22 shells that will be on sale on Thanksgiving. I know what will happen as I get there I will see a line at the door of about a hundred guys all looking for the same thing. This store is over an hour away and I know I won't get any because they will clean out fast. Not worth it.

I had some stupid thought about going at midnight to buy some .22 shells that will be on sale on Thanksgiving. I know what will happen as I get there I will see a line at the door of about a hundred guys all looking for the same thing. This store is over an hour away and I know I won't get any because they will clean out fast. Not worth it.
You and I both :angry7:, I went to Academy sports on a Wednesday morning about 5 weeks ago to stock up on what I could and the word has got out when they stock the shelves :-? I need to get a jump on them again next Wednesday morning earlier.. Good luck dusterny

So I hear Target will be open on...Christmas Day. Damn greed. Whats sad is it only get worse.

I only spend holidays with family or very close friends' families unless I am busy.

We just all hang out in a big home and tell stories, cook, eat,and share in the kinship.

This is what holidays are for most the people I know. A way to bring kind people and good spirit together in warmth and happiness.

So, GOD BLESS AMERICA!

I received an e mail from one of my contracts that I needed to be available to work 7 days a week from Nov 29th to Dev 31st. I am working my normal routine of 6 days a week. I will not work on Sunday.

I only spend holidays with family or very close friends' families unless I am busy.

We just all hang out in a big home and tell stories, cook, eat,and share in the kinship.

This is what holidays are for most the people I know. A way to bring kind people and good spirit together in warmth and happiness.

So, GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Bingo!

It's very sad to me that this generation will know shopping as the big part of the Thanksgiving tradition.:wack: They are missing out on the meaningful part of Thanksgiving.

I received an e mail from one of my contracts that I needed to be available to work 7 days a week from Nov 29th to Dev 31st. I am working my normal routine of 6 days a week. I will not work on Sunday.

Good for you! It's time to take a stand on these ridiculous demands. It's a pretty disturbing trend where corporate customers assume you will be available 24/7 with no thought to your views on the matter.

In Canada, labour law used to hold you to a 40 hour week which was considered full time hours. Now, they will give you 39 and a half hours to avoid full time benefits and demand you make yourself available evenings and weekends all for a minimum wage that puts you below the poverty line. No premiums for the off shifts and that is how they staff the stores for Christmas day. Something ain't right!

G

In Canada, labour law used to hold you to a 40 hour week which was considered full time hours. Now, they will give you 39 and a half hours to avoid full time benefits and demand you make yourself available evenings and weekends all for a minimum wage that puts you below the poverty line. No premiums for the off shifts and that is how they staff the stores for Christmas day. Something ain't right!

That is happening here, too. That's a new phenomenon that accompanied the advent of the "Affordable Healthcare Act".

Now, they will give you 39 and a half hours to avoid full time benefits and demand you make yourself available evenings and weekends all for a minimum wage that puts you below the poverty line.

thats been going on for many years here.

thats great to make a stand. don't be upset if/when they don't renew your contract.

It's very sad to me that this generation will know shopping as the big part of the Thanksgiving tradition.:wack: They are missing out on the meaningful part of Thanksgiving.

Again, I'm 20 but its sad to see most others my age would rather be standing outside Best Buy or whatever at 2:00 AM or go out right after the Turkey is carved to go get some gadget for cheap. I guess I'm too old fashioned for my age.

1453365_10201126255740283_1170248451_n.jpg

You are way out of touch.It has been happening hear way before Affordable Health care Act.Your eyes just wasn't opened to it.Please don't all these stupid changes just started.It is just starting to affect you so know you see it.My father talked about this stuff a long time ago.And if you are not witching it is going to get worse.Just remember everything is about Money and thats all. Mark
That is happening here, too. That's a new phenomenon that accompanied the advent of the "Affordable Healthcare Act".

-
Back