Short story from long ago

-
matey dan said:
It's apparently evident that most on here have deprived themselves from the muscle car Era. Two cars come to mind that most on here probably have never heard of. Studebaker golden hawk and the Studebaker avanti, the golden hawk had dual Carter 4 barrels with a Paxton supercharged 289, no it wasn't a ford. The avanti had a 304 with dual carbs and a Paxton supercharger as well. The AMC amx with a 401, the rambler scrambler with its 390. Granted, mopars had some awesome running cars but where by no means the king of the hill. Can't forget the Pontiac SD 455's, oldsmobile 442's just to name a few.

if you're gonna spout facts, at least try and get them right. the Stude's used a McCulloch supercharger and it was a 2bbl. there were dual quad options, but not supercharged. the avanti had 4bbl supercharger, though.

also, this pre-dates the muscle car era by about 6~8 years, and these cars were running 16~18 second 1/4 mile times. so not exactly world beaters. they were also expensive, and a chevy 210 could do damn near the same for less cost.

you naming off all that **** and not including a 71 Buick GSX Stage 1, aka the boogey man, just goes to show your ignorance.

yeah, everybody made fast ****. but pound for pound, mopar was king. and any wasteoid with their 305 chevelle talking about their cousin's friends dad's big block car didn't know their *** from a hole in the ground and the oakley blade mullet 5.0 crowd didn't know power unless it came in the form of a aftermarket add on. everybody that was there, at the time, knew mopar was king ****.

anybody that says otherwise is re-litigating history by bringing up silly special production cars that were either priced well out of reach of the general "street racer" population, or were dedicated race cars that never saw action on the street.

go talk that nonsense over at your 5.0 forum or chevelle forum, we're all full up here.

copo man, Central Order Production Office (or was the other way around?)

either way, back then, you had paper order forms and with the right amount of grease on the proper palm you could order a car however you wanted
Most of the COPO (central office, production order) cars were 427s swapped into cars where they couldn't normally be bought. (chevelles, camaros)
A friend of mine, who literally passed a couple days ago, had a COPO 69 camaro, dirt brown, with a four speed and a 375 horse 396. I think what made it a COPO was the aluminum heads it had on it.

My friend in high school had a 67 Camaro, just a ordinary run of the mill .. 67 327 3 speed, not fast, not fancy, he was always getting outran by the local Mopar crowd. wanted to do something about it ..

Small little places existed around at that time that gave out small loans I think a few still are in places today, not much here ..

In their( loan place) possession they had a 68 Chevelle 396 4 speed , it was an SS too .. wasn't really in all that bad of shape to be fair , we talked to the lady at the place

4 kids , she said she needed 3 bids on it and would not sell it for under $100 !! ( yes, it ran and drove. we ech filled out a little slip , with bids of 101,102,103 and Steve bid $155

sold, he paid cash , and that was a fair sum for a high school kid to carry around , drove it home, pulled the drive line out ( lol ) we did and put in that Camaro

scrapped the Chevelle ( yes, we did ) .. lol and put the big block in Camaro , still got beat by local Mopar guys .. haha
Love the story. Yeah, scrap it. After all, back then it was just a car, right?
Back in 69, I had a brand new 1969 Barracuda 340 4 speed Formula S (I was 18 when I bought it). It was built in 1968 (early in the 69 run). I assume it was built with the slightly hotter Racer Brown 1968 4 speed only cam. It ran amazingly. I used to plaster 396 Chevelles and all kinds of other big block cars. I sold it in 1973 for $700. After all, it was just a car, right?

if you're gonna spout facts, at least try and get them right. the Stude's used a McCulloch supercharger and it was a 2bbl. there were dual quad options, but not supercharged. the avanti had 4bbl supercharger, though.

also, this pre-dates the muscle car era by about 6~8 years, and these cars were running 16~18 second 1/4 mile times. so not exactly world beaters. they were also expensive, and a chevy 210 could do damn near the same for less cost.

you naming off all that **** and not including a 71 Buick GSX Stage 1, aka the boogey man, just goes to show your ignorance.

yeah, everybody made fast ****. but pound for pound, mopar was king. and any wasteoid with their 305 chevelle talking about their cousin's friends dad's big block car didn't know their *** from a hole in the ground and the oakley blade mullet 5.0 crowd didn't know power unless it came in the form of a aftermarket add on. everybody that was there, at the time, knew mopar was king ****.

anybody that says otherwise is re-litigating history by bringing up silly special production cars that were either priced well out of reach of the general "street racer" population, or were dedicated race cars that never saw action on the street.

go talk that nonsense over at your 5.0 forum or chevelle forum, we're all full up here.
I forgot about the Buick, that doesn't make me ignorant. The avanti was king of the street in the early 60's

I had a basically stock 327 w/headers that would smoke overrated 396s.

go talk that nonsense over at your 5.0 forum or chevelle forum, we're all full

The Studebaker avanti was the king in 1963. The 5.0 mustangs were the hot ticket in the 80's.And I don't understand why people don't want to give credit to were credit is do.

Beat by the local mopar guys? Three things come to mind that would cause this, 1st the 396 was stock and the mopars were modified, 2nd he didn't know how to tune his car 3rd all of the above plus he didn't know how to drive it. Also final gear ratio could very well affected the out come. I'm not saying that mopars can't / don't run good lm just saying that people think that a Mopar can't be beat and that's simply not true.
Dan, have you found the Mopar that meets your goals yet ?9,800
Curious as I'm now approaching $
The Studebaker avanti was the king in 1963. The 5.0 mustangs were the hot ticket in the 80's.And I don't understand why people don't want to give credit to were credit is do.
Haven't yanked with you for a bit. Are you still looking for a Mopar ? I may have a line on some likely candidates if interested

Well Dan if you want to deal in facts, one thing you implied in post #9 that the standard rear gear ratio being "2.76 or 2.96 not like an SS or RS". Well fact is the SS package is a trim package not a performance package such as the R/T option. A 6 cylinder Chevy 11 could have been an SS. RS or rally sport also a trim package not found on any Chevelle I've seen. Check it out. Fact Jack.
Not totally trim. All SS packages came with 3/8fuel line. Even the six bangers.

I forgot about the Buick, that doesn't make me ignorant. The avanti was king of the street in the early 60's

the avanti was king of the street in the early 60's? are you delusional? high? drunk? is somebody holding you at gun point? are you posting from a mental facility?

a 63 Dodge 330 with a 426 wedge was a full two seconds faster in the 1/4 mile, and a 63 polara 500 w/ 383 ran the same time, but with better 0-60 and higher top speed while giving up weight and gear.

don't believe me? DRAG TESTS 1960 - 1972

also, avanti's cost more than a GD corvette. bankers and CEO's were buying avanti's not street racers.

yeah, 5.0's were the hot ticket but that does not make them good cars. IROC's were the hot ticket too, are those any good? wanna give those crap cans their due? go chirp about them on their forums.

also, dan, repeating something over and over again isn't going to make it any more truthful or factual. your glaring omission of the GSX is proof positive that you know a lot less than you think you do about muscle cars. i think you've swallowed too much sea water matey.

the avanti was king of the street in the early 60's? are you delusional? high? drunk? is somebody holding you at gun point? are you posting from a mental facility?

a 63 Dodge 330 with a 426 wedge was a full two seconds faster in the 1/4 mile, and a 63 polara 500 w/ 383 ran the same time, but with better 0-60 and higher top speed while giving up weight and gear.

also, avanti's cost more than a GD corvette. bankers and CEO's were buying avanti's not street racers.

yeah, 5.0's were the hot ticket but that does not make them good cars. IROC's were the hot ticket too, are those any good? wanna give those crap cans their due? go chirp about them on their forums.

also, dan, repeating something over and over again isn't going to make it any more truthful or factual. your glaring omission of the GSX is proof positive that you know a lot less than you think you do about muscle cars. i think you've swallowed too much sea water matey.
I thought that you would bring in the big block engines, not a fair comparison. But all conversations are educational

Dan, have you found the Mopar that meets your goals yet ?9,800
Curious as I'm now approaching $
Haven't yanked with you for a bit. Are you still looking for a Mopar ? I may have a line on some likely candidates if interested
I sure am.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I did fail to mention that I was talking about the pre gm avanti. As it's been said, they all had good running car's and believe it or not I still prefer the mopars that's what I grew up with. Have a good day my friend.

I thought that you would bring in the big block engines, not a fair comparison. But all conversations are educational
Dan, that's fair considering you simply said Avantis ruled the streets im '63. They didn't. They were faster than some expected, but were not something that was feared.

You also insulted everyone by claiming most don't know those cars existed. Never tell someone they don't know something, until they prove it themselves.

Last edited:
Dan, that's fair considering you simply said Avantis ruled the streets im '63. They didn't. They were faster than some expected, but we're not something that was feared.

You also insulted everyone by claiming most don't know those cars existed. Never tell someone they don't know something, until they prove it themselves.
That wasn't my intention. I was meaning the guys who are in the 20-40 year old range, I've meant people who never heard of the cars. I'm sorry if I offended anyone as that's not what I meant to do. Have a good day everyone
Not totally trim. All SS packages came with 3/8fuel line. Even the six bangers.

That wasn't my intention. I was meaning the guys who are in the 20-40 year old range, I've meant people who never heard of the cars. I'm sorry if I offended anyone as that's not what I meant to do. Have a good day everyone
LOL..........I'm 58 and never heard of Avantis :)

I'm not offended, just pointing out you made a simple statement that covered everyone. Twenty year olds probably don't know about Avanti's, but they probably don't know about a lot of older cars, as you stated, but they don't really seem too care about cars, for the most part.

There's actually an Hawk sitting about six blocks from me.

You have a good day as well

Last edited:
I'm not offended, just pointing out you made a simple statement that covered everyone. Twenty year olds probably don't know about Avanti's, but they probably don't know about a lot of older cars, as you stated, but they don't really seem too care about cars, for the most part.

I wish that I took either my dad's '62 golden hawk or his '53 commander. That's what not thinking does for a person.

I've noticed that a lot of the younger people don't care about the older car's, they want all of the technology stuff on their cars

oh, yeah because comparing a supercharged engine to a naturally aspirated unit is totally an apples to apples comparison. get real.

oh, yeah because comparing a supercharged engine to a naturally aspirated unit is totally an apples to apples comparison. get real.
Not a fair comparison especially since mopar didn't have a small block to compete with. They say that the poly 318 was considered a big block but I don't know that for a fact

Not a fair comparison especially since mopar didn't have a small block to compete with. They say that the poly 318 was considered a big block but I don't know that for a fact
they who? is this like the royal we? the editorial we? the i have a turd in my pocket we?

i don't think that anybody on the face of the planet has ever considered the poly 318 as a "big block", namely because, ya know, mopar had big blocks that were entirely different in architecture and design.

if you knew anything or hell, even took a minute to do the most basic research, mopar offered a smallblock in 1956, called... wait for it... the A engine. starting with 277ci and producing it in a number of various displacements ending in, shockingly... you might know this one... 318 until the arrival of, again, wait for it... the LA, which *gasp* is the 273, 318, 340 and 360

a note here is that the A and the LA were produced concurrently from 1964 through 1967, although the "poly" or A engine was slated for non- A body cars. they also made a 326ci for 1959 dodges, which is kinda cool because it uses hydraulic tappets.

so to recap, mopar did in fact have a small block, but did not have a performance oriented small block save for the V-800 option dual quad 318 offered in 57~58 plymouths (which was probably available on other cars or as a dealer option).

i love how you come on here trying to talk facts only to talk out the side of your neck and show how truly clueless you really are.

so, back to your avanti love affair: comparing a supercharged engine specifically built for performance and put into an expensive lightweight car to compete with corvettes to anything else is an foolish comparative. the argument holds no water, much like the dinghy you keep rowing in circles around the marina.

they who? is this like the royal we? the editorial we? the i have a turd in my pocket we?

i don't think that anybody on the face of the planet has ever considered the poly 318 as a "big block", namely because, ya know, mopar had big blocks that were entirely different in architecture and design.

if you knew anything or hell, even took a minute to do the most basic research, mopar offered a smallblock in 1956, called... wait for it... the A engine. starting with 277ci and producing it in a number of various displacements ending in, shockingly... you might know this one... 318 until the arrival of, again, wait for it... the LA, which *gasp* is the 273, 318, 340 and 360

a note here is that the A and the LA were produced concurrently from 1964 through 1967, although the "poly" or A engine was slated for non- A body cars. they also made a 326ci for 1959 dodges, which is kinda cool because it uses hydraulic tappets.

so to recap, mopar did in fact have a small block, but did not have a performance oriented small block save for the V-800 option dual quad 318 offered in 57~58 plymouths (which was probably available on other cars or as a dealer option).

i love how you come on here trying to talk facts only to talk out the side of your neck and show how truly clueless you really are.

so, back to your avanti love affair: comparing a supercharged engine specifically built for performance and put into an expensive lightweight car to compete with corvettes to anything else is an foolish comparative. the argument holds no water, much like the dinghy you keep rowing in circles around the marina.
I was actually asking if the poly 318 was a big block. I did some research on the poly and honestly never found a straight answer, probably my fault. I only know about the Studebaker's from what my dad had told me. By reading your response I want to do even more research on the mopars of the day as you have made it very interesting to me. I thank you for your time and advice and input on the subject.

-
Back