Shorten A-body axle or widen well

-

leonfreddy

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a 66 valiant 200 4 door. I'm dealing with a problem where the Cragar rear wheels (15'' that are wide outward - 4" smb) i have are rubbing on the fenders. There is very little room next to the fender from the tire... maybe a 1/4 inch but with load or a bump i hit.

I'm committed to the wheels, and i'm wondering if i should shorten the axle by an 1 1/2 or expand the fenders. Cut them or bang them out...

Is there any chance someone knows of a rear axle that would work in an A-body that would be an 1 1/2" or 2" shorter?

Thanks in advance!

Did ya try rolling the lip it helps a bit other wize I would shorten the rear and I don't think their is any axles out there stock.that are shorter then a body but thats jmo

Roll the quarter lips if not already done.......then narrow the housing/axles if necessary.

Hi

thanks for the replies... can you explain rolling the quarter lips? i'm a newbie. I think i understand but would like to be clear.

thanks!

Easy answer....[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqiTfYyaI1A&feature=related"]Rolling Your Fenders w/Eastwood Fender Roller - YouTube[/ame]

3 lb Hammer or rubber mallet will hopefully give you enough room. First get it started by beating it up, then try to beat it as flat as possible.

I had a blow out on the interstate years ago because I didn't do this before I put wide tires on my 75 Dart Sport. After a few heavy bumps in the road, it cut the side wall right out of one of the tires. Limped it to a local tire shop, purchased new tires but told them they had to let me in the garage area long enough to beat the fender lips up. Never had a problem after that.

leonfreddy, you could butcher it, but I think that I read on here recently that the 8 1/4 rear end is 1 1/2" more narrow than a standard 7 1/4".
Do a search if you maybe want to just change rear ends and not butcher the wheelwell openings?? it's your call.
Gary

leonfreddy, you could butcher it, but I think that I read on here recently that the 8 1/4 rear end is 1 1/2" more narrow than a standard 7 1/4".
Do a search if you maybe want to just change rear ends and not butcher the wheelwell openings?? it's your call.
Gary
I agree, get a narrower rear end. I wouldn't sink any money into a 7 1/4 however..... Get a C-body 8 3/4 rear and have it narrowed to whatever width you need.

Good ole Louisville Slugger and a heat gun. Patience is a must.

Google DIY fender rolling

Thanks everyone. I'm going to look into the C-Body 8 1/4 as per AussiePlymouths, but if that proves a difficult find, i head out there with the mallet and my torch.

I've actually already ground off the inside lip, now it just above that where it tilts in with the panel.

thanks again for all the feedback, very much appreciated.

-
Back