Shortening and threading strut rods to gain caster?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
'65SignetSweden told me that "drift car" drivers will cut additional threads in their strut rods in order to obtain more caster. It appears to me that this would be possible, but because of the way Mopar strut rods mount, the rod would also have to be shortened at the same time the additional threads are cut.

Does this make sense? Has anybody tried this?

Thanks.

Bill Crowell

That would bind the lower arm bushing and shorten its life.

I agree with Redfish that it would put a bind in the lower bushing. It would be better to put offset bushings in the upper control arm.

Chuck

Another thing to consider is I doubt the threads on your strut rods are "cut" threads. They are most likely "rolled" threads, the way basically all bolts are made. Rolled threads are work hardened as they are formed and create threads that do not have a sharp "v" in between the threads. Cut threads have a sharp "V" in between the threads that can create a stress concentration when the bolt (or rod) is exposed to high tension loads. This stress concentration and sharp "V" can lead to cracks and failures.

You do not want any fasteners on your vehicle that have been threaded with "Cut" threads, especially a main suspension component that will see high level cyclic loading.

Bob

I have heard of it being done before but Adjustable Strut rods are available from the aftermarket.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I already installed the Moog adjustable upper control arm bushings, but still the most caster I could get was 0 degrees. I was checking out the Mopar strut rods offered by Just Suspension. Is that the kind you're thinking of, AdamR? They do mention that they are adjustable, but they don't give any details at all. I wonder if they would give you a significant improvement in caster.

Thanks again, AdamR. Now that I know what to look for, I should be able to find something suitable. I'd like to see how well I can make the more-or-less stock steering work.

'65SignetSweden told me that "drift car" drivers will cut additional threads in their strut rods in order to obtain more caster. It appears to me that this would be possible, but because of the way Mopar strut rods mount, the rod would also have to be shortened at the same time the additional threads are cut.

Does this make sense? Has anybody tried this?

Thanks.

Bill Crowell

You don`t have to cut longer threads, you just remove metal at the surface where the washer sits(best done in a Lathe). Then you adjust the caster with washers. You also have to compensate with more washers on the Nut side, if you now what I mean :salute:
But the adjustble strut rods at Mancini sure looks nice!

-
Back