shortening driveshafT??

-

freshayr

Reaction score
I am switching to a 727 from a 903. I got the motor and tranny in today and I measured the driveshaft needed. It looks like I need to shorten it about 6.25 inches. does that sound correct? Who sells the driveshafts? should I look a buying a new one vs. shortening mine. There is a place 30 miles from here that I am told will do it but i don't know the cost. anybody info on this subject is appreciated.

Sit the rear of the car on stands,with the diff you intend to use,I hope its a 8 3/4 or a dana set at the right angle.With the yoke installed,push the yoke in at the way then pull it out about a 1-1 1/2 and then measure the center to center distance from the center of the u-jiont cup to the center of the rear u-jiont cup.make sure to bring the rear and front u-jionts with you so the builder can give you the right ends for the drive shaft,Mrmopartech :)

i need a new yoke. My yoke won't slide over the new 727 splines. how should I measure it? It looks like the old yoke had about a 3" wear on the end. (in other words, that was the max it ever went into the trans tail shaft. ) When is the yoke into the tailshaft the most? suspension fully down or up?

It cost me $75 to have my drive shaft shortened, balanced and new universal installed.

I did the recommended (Mopar Muscle Magazine & A-Bodies Forum members)- 69 Barracuda rear axle up on jacks, slid the shaft in until it bottomed out on 727, pulled out 1.5 inches then measured from centre yolk to centre yolk on 8 3/4. I came up with a measurement of 44 inches.

But, when i took it to my reputable driveline shop, they said that 1.5 is too much and that it should only pulled away from the tranny by 1/2 inch, then measured.

What do you folks think? Is 1/2 play going to be enough with a 440 out in front of it all?

I was always told to pull the yoke out 3/4 to 1 inch. I have done two or three that way and never had a problem.

I reused my front yolk when I shortened mine and got 1.5" when lining it up with the wear marks against the seal.

If you set it less than an inch you are likely setting it tighter than it was from the factory.

I chose to go with 1.5" with ss springs because they tend to let the rear move around more and did not want to risk bottoming the yolk on the output shaft.

I had mine shortened at the local driveline shop when I swapped out the 7.25 for the 8.75 and it only cost me $50.00

-
Back