Shorting Out?

-

goldenmopar

Reaction score
Well this morning before school i went to start my Duster and it cranked over but didn't start right away, so i went to start it again and nothing, not even cranking the motor. When i turn the key the radio and dome light turn off and the alternator gauge goes negative. It's done this once before and fired up some 20 minutes later. Could the ignition be shorting out occasionally?

First thing I would do is clean your battery terminals and see what happens. When you put them back on put a little grease on the battery posts and rub it around with your finger, then after you get the terminals on, coat the whole terminal with a thin layer of grease.

- put key in ign. and try jumping stater solenoid next time when it doesnt crank....and if it starts OK like that, then I'd suspect ign switch.

Ah, the old smack on the starter trick, eh?

Attachments

• get-smart-don-adams-1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 101
The stock 'alternator gauge' (ammeter) shows all current going in and out of the battery except for the current to the starter. Some - discharge indication if you turn the key on to RUN prior to starting is normal but not a large amount. It can also move further negative when you put the key to START (due to starter relay current) but the dome light should not go out, just get dimmer, and the ammeter should not go too far negative.

Any way you look at it, smacking the starter and it working is a worn out starter.

What was described was not a "shorting out" problem but a brushes in the starter not making good contact from being worn down problem.

-
Back