shorty headers

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Anybody make shorty headers to replace A body hi po manifolds that bolt to the stock exhaust down pipe flanges. Kinda like the shorty headers for the newer camaros n mustangs.

My other option is cast iron 68 to 70 340 manifolds. Or long tube headers. I have neither, want to know if i have a 3rd option, Iin shorty headers, as the stockers are pricey, and IMHO long tube headers suck.

No. You'll need to get an exhaust shop to make new connections.

if its a big block shumakers makes a set called TRY Y they fit real nice minor mods,,will not bolt up to stock down pipes,, if small block,,only shorty headers ive seen are for the street rod world,, the collector would interfere with the factory steering box,,, unless u have a torsion barless after market frnt end with rack and pinion,,,if so severl header makes have them,, not sure all who but one of them is sanderson

if its a big block shumakers makes a set called TRY Y they fit real nice minor mods,,will not bolt up to stock down pipes,, if small block,,only shorty headers ive seen are for the street rod world,, the collector would interfere with the factory steering box,,, unless u have a torsion barless after market frnt end with rack and pinion,,,if so severl header makes have them,, not sure all who but one of them is sanderson

I should have been more specific. 67 A small block w 4 speed

I saw the TTI small block headers at the Spring Fling last weekend. They are good with power steering or manual. Pricey but nice.

I saw the TTI small block headers at the Spring Fling last weekend. They are good with power steering or manual. Pricey but nice.

Not looking for anything that i have to deal with snaking around the steering centerlink

Summit sells the Hedman shorties specifically for the 67 and up A body.

Not looking for anything that i have to deal with snaking around the steering centerlink

I bought the hedman shorties then took it to aaple muffler over on ambler...along with 6 2.5" u bends from Columbia river mandrel bending...it took him four hours to weld it but he did a pretty good job. I will say this though, buy good gaskets so you don't change them often...because it sucks messing with them. Depending on your build, 2.25" would work fine and be a little easier to mess with. You also really should use a high torque late model mini starter.

Unfortunately, the steering link is gonna be involved one way or the other...I think there are a few pics of mine in my thread.

Unfortunately, the steering link is gonna be involved one way or the other...I think there are a few pics of mine in my thread.

Hey txstang84 we talked before, and we both live in abilene. Would you mind stopping by and letting me see your header install? I am on the fence about going w shortys, or hunting down the hi po iron manifolds. Gonna build a hot 318 w magnum heads. Maybe a stroker later so def 2.50" diameter on the pipes. Not sure what the outlet on the stock hi po manifold is, talked to jim scott over at abilene auto wrecking. He said the R/H manifold needs to be the 68 to 70 one and that the headers flow about the same as the manifolds.

I always liked the Scampers with the duster style front clips.

PM me if you want to meet up.

Thanks
Matt

TTI makes shorty headers.

Dougs and TTI make longtube headers that dont wrap around the steering centerlink.

Shumaker makes some tri-y headers that dont wrap around the steering and looks increadibly tight fitting from the pics i have seen

Sorry to say but i think Hedman made a misstake on there shortys they seem to dump in a very inconvenient place and angle.

I have not reserched how these fit with a 4-speed more than that both TTI and Dougs longtube headers require some work to make the clutchlinkage work.

i doubt any of these above will conect dirrectly with stock headpipes but a good mufflershop could probably make some adaptorpipes them fairly quick

TTI makes shorty headers.

Dougs and TTI make longtube headers that dont wrap around the steering centerlink.

Shumaker makes some tri-y headers that dont wrap around the steering and looks increadibly tight fitting from the pics i have seen

Sorry to say but i think Hedman made a misstake on there shortys they seem to dump in a very inconvenient place and angle.

I have not reserched how these fit with a 4-speed more than that both TTI and Dougs longtube headers require some work to make the clutchlinkage work.

i doubt any of these above will conect dirrectly with stock headpipes but a good mufflershop could probably make some adaptorpipes them fairly quick

I wasn't aware TTI made shorties-sounds promising considering the provenance. You are correct in asserting Hedman's mistake with the outlets for their shorties, but there are a couple folks that have made them work with some clever pipe placement-my project included. The single drawback to either TTIs or Doug's is the cost...but regardless of which direction you go, there will be some pipe mating and probably some customization involved. I can't recall exactly how much I spent putting the full exhaust system in my car, but it was somewhere near $1k...but I bought new headers, an x pipe, new exhaust system from summit, and some u bends from CRMB (mentioned above), then had it all installed. I figure if I bought the long tubes, the x pipe, and had it installed, I would've spent a little more but I was discouraged at the time from running long tubes due to the up front cost...oh well...live and learn I suppose.

Matt, I have to work this weekend-I might be able to swing by Friday after I get off work though? I'll hit you up in PM

I wasn't aware TTI made shorties-sounds promising considering the provenance. You are correct in asserting Hedman's mistake with the outlets for their shorties, but there are a couple folks that have made them work with some clever pipe placement-my project included. The single drawback to either TTIs or Doug's is the cost...but regardless of which direction you go, there will be some pipe mating and probably some customization involved. I can't recall exactly how much I spent putting the full exhaust system in my car, but it was somewhere near $1k...but I bought new headers, an x pipe, new exhaust system from summit, and some u bends from CRMB (mentioned above), then had it all installed. I figure if I bought the long tubes, the x pipe, and had it installed, I would've spent a little more but I was discouraged at the time from running long tubes due to the up front cost...oh well...live and learn I suppose.

Matt, I have to work this weekend-I might be able to swing by Friday after I get off work though? I'll hit you up in PM

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=227809&highlight=TTI+short+headers

this is where i found the information,TTI´s website dont seem to be updated very often.

and the shumackers.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/SB_Headers.html#head4

unfortionaly they only fit Automatics. but they sure look like a good product!

you beat me too it! :)
One of several discussions on Sanderson's
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=232952
There's another, older thread, where at the end someone shows a modifcation to make them fit.

TTI shorties:
I've got a set of the new TTI shorties waiting for me at Rob's along with a set of head pipes. As you can see in the flyers, they are longer than 340 manifolds, which allows for a better merge and less manifold or log type flow characteristics. In fact, for a shorty, they have decent merge.

It should not be too hard for a shop to fab up the connection. You can temp one if you're clever by using clamps and exhaust flex. I've done this twice to get the car moving around and down to the muffler shop.

Another option is to buy TTI head pipe. When I get to Rob's we're going to eyeball where the premade TTI headpipe for these headers ends up. Then we'll decide if its worth using them for my particular car. In your case, they are a possible option, but its hard to know for sure if they will line up close to make an easy connection your existing system unless you have 'em in hand.

you beat me too it! :)
One of several discussions on Sanderson's
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=232952
There's another, older thread, where at the end someone shows a modifcation to make them fit.

TTI shorties:
I've got a set of the new TTI shorties waiting for me at Rob's along with a set of head pipes. As you can see in the flyers, they are longer than 340 manifolds, which allows for a better merge and less manifold or log type flow characteristics. In fact, for a shorty, they have decent merge.

It should not be too hard for a shop to fab up the connection. You can temp one if you're clever by using clamps and exhaust flex. I've done this twice to get the car moving around and down to the muffler shop.

Another option is to buy TTI head pipe. When I get to Rob's we're going to eyeball where the premade TTI headpipe for these headers ends up. Then we'll decide if its worth using them for my particular car. In your case, they are a possible option, but its hard to know for sure if they will line up close to make an easy connection your existing system unless you have 'em in hand.

Let us know how the shorties fit, also I would like to know if the TTI head pipes will clear a 4-speed car.

Just eyeballed up a set of the TTI shorties and headpipes for fit in my car. It looks like the passenger side (US) is very similar to the 340 exhaust manifold. Driver side primaries go down (not up like the 340 exhaust manfolds) and the collector exits maybe 4" further back and lower than the exhaust manifold. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work with a 4 speed.

The headpipes are made to work with the TTI exhaust. My current system is not, and its not obvious whether the headpipes will be helpful or it will be better to just fab new from the collector. Some decisions will have to wait until actual installation time.

It will be about a month before we instaill them. I bought them uncoated, and will be sending them out once I get quotes back from potential coaters.

Just eyeballed up a set of the TTI shorties and headpipes for fit in my car. It looks like the passenger side (US) is very similar to the 340 exhaust manifold. Driver side primaries go down (not up like the 340 exhaust manfolds) and the collector exits maybe 4" further back and lower than the exhaust manifold. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work with a 4 speed.

The headpipes are made to work with the TTI exhaust. My current system is not, and its not obvious whether the headpipes will be helpful or it will be better to just fab new from the collector. Some decisions will have to wait until actual installation time.l

It will be about a month before we instaill them. I bought them uncoated, and will be sending them out once I get quotes back from potential coaters.

HPC, JET HOT,AIRBORN are the only ceramic coaters i know of that dip them in to the liquid,,, just coating the out side is a waiste of money if u ask me,,they will flow better and not rot from the inside out if coated inside and out i just sold a car that i had custom headers made the headers cost me 850 bucks back in 1999 and 300 to coat still look good today

for a 318 build,, dont know if u have power steering or not,,and i don tknow if they will clear a power steering car,, theres been a lot of trial and fiting using the ram truck/dakota magnum exhaust manifolds,, they are said to flow as good as the 340 hypo manifolds and can be had cheap at the junk yards or on these forums,, there are a few years that have a bigger exit some are 2 1/2 some 2 1/4,, do a search on those manifolds under the early A section

That would have been a good price for custom headers then. Are they still in business? I bought Headers by Ed in the early 90s and they were about $800. Jet Hot coated, which didn't last the 5 years of use until I went back to manifolds.

Pictures on my website, about 3/4 down on this page.

Coating companies in consideration this time are Zircotech, Swain Tech, Applied Plastics. For a resin based coating, I agree that internal coating makes sense but for different reasons. Zirconium based coatings have to be applied with flame or plasma method so really can not be effectively done in the tubes except sometimes the entry.

http://www.heritech.org/cuda/mgcudat.html

-
Back