Should I add body stiffeners?

-
I have installed upper body and lower radiator support bracing on a couple of different car and when combined with frame connectors it makes all the difference in the world on how these old cars handle. If you like to drive hard and take turns, do it

I have installed upper body and lower radiator support bracing on a couple of different car and when combined with frame connectors it makes all the difference in the world on how these old cars handle. If you like to drive hard and take turns, do it

Not sure I want the frame connectors. Are they a big addition to the final feel?

Frame connectors are vital, You can make them and install them yourself, look it up. The other pieces you mention don't do squat unless you have coil overs. The torsional load from the front is placed right under them toesies at the cross member.

I can hardly even get across how much difference subframe connectors make.
I could instantly feel the difference as soon as one tire rolled out onto pavement from a driveway.

I will resound a "YES" for sub-frame connectors, and will also agree with those that say that there is nothing to gain from shock tower braces on most Mopars. The only thing the shock towers support are the shocks, which don't put much of a load on anything. That said, there is something to be gained by beefing up the K-member, which is what takes all the suspension loading.

Just my 2 cents....

Mike Ritz
66 Barracuda vintage road racer

I've used the US Car Tools stiffening kits on an A body and a B body. The improvements in handling and chassis stiffness were immediate and obvious. They were well worth the rather modest cost of the parts.

The other pieces you mention don't do squat unless you have coil overs. The torsional load from the front is placed right under them toesies at the cross member.

and will also agree with those that say that there is nothing to gain from shock tower braces on most Mopars. The only thing the shock towers support are the shocks, which don't put much of a load on anything.

I totally disagree.

Yes, the suspension loads are transmitted through the torsion bars, and the shock towers are technically only there to support the shocks.

But you're not just bracing the shock towers. You're adding an entire path of bending resistance to the entire front half of the car. The shock towers are welded to the frame rails, bracing them off of the fire wall triangulates the whole front half of the frame, which supports the K member. These are all unibodies, the front frame rails are only held onto the body by some spot welds. Frame connectors do wonders to reinforce that, but you still only have reinforcements in 2 planes. Adding the shock tower braces adds a vertical component to that reinforcement.

I think frame connectors should be added to every single one of these cars if you're going to bother to do any amount of repair or restoration. The shock tower braces and radiator support reinforcements don't have as big of an impact as the frame connectors, but to say they do nothing is just untrue. Not every driver will notice the benefits, but that doesn't mean they aren't beneficial. I went a step further with my Duster, adding "J" bars that run from the firewall to the frame rails above my tubular radiator support, and also brace the tops of the shock towers. The difference in body flex between my Duster and my cars without those reinforcements is very noticeable.

I can hardly even get across how much difference subframe connectors make.
I could instantly feel the difference as soon as one tire rolled out onto pavement from a driveway.

this is so true . the biggest improvement to my car by far

Another recommendation for the frame connectors. I've put 'em on several Mopars and would recommend them as one of the first mods to do to any car that doesn't remain original. I put the U.S. Cartools connectors on my Barracuda and built a set from rectangular tubing for a buddies car. Blindfolded and riding in either car I doubt you could tell the difference but you could tell my car with the connector from the one without as soon as you close the door! Driving with and without is night and day. I like the look of the US Cartools better than those I have done with rectangular tubing so I would probably recommend those if you can pull the carpet to do the job.

I totally disagree.

Yes, the suspension loads are transmitted through the torsion bars, and the shock towers are technically only there to support the shocks.

But you're not just bracing the shock towers. You're adding an entire path of bending resistance to the entire front half of the car. The shock towers are welded to the frame rails, bracing them off of the fire wall triangulates the whole front half of the frame, which supports the K member. These are all unibodies, the front frame rails are only held onto the body by some spot welds. Frame connectors do wonders to reinforce that, but you still only have reinforcements in 2 planes. Adding the shock tower braces adds a vertical component to that reinforcement.

I think frame connectors should be added to every single one of these cars if you're going to bother to do any amount of repair or restoration. The shock tower braces and radiator support reinforcements don't have as big of an impact as the frame connectors, but to say they do nothing is just untrue. Not every driver will notice the benefits, but that doesn't mean they aren't beneficial. I went a step further with my Duster, adding "J" bars that run from the firewall to the frame rails above my tubular radiator support, and also brace the tops of the shock towers. The difference in body flex between my Duster and my cars without those reinforcements is very noticeable.

OK, I stand corrected. Makes sense, I had never thought of it in those terms! Can you send a picture of your front end braces? I do have a small brace running from my firewall to the left shock tower, but it is there primarily to keep the firewall from flexing from a heavy clutch and heavy braking!

Attachments

• P1010284.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 198
-
Back